This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

3rd party system tray icons are causing unexpected behaviour

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
electw
Registered Member
Hello, I recently upgraded to Plasma 5.23 on KDE Neon, and I've noticed that right clicking some third party app icons in the system tray have been causing the desktop to act up. There is a spike in CPU usage by plasma-desktop, the desktop might freeze for a bit, some graphical shadows appear in the system tray area, and buttons and elements on the screen might be clicked without any user input. Sometimes the desktop becomes completely unresponsive to any user input and I have to force the computer to reboot.

If applications are set to be "Always Hidden" in the tray, right clicking them does not cause the entire desktop to be unresponsive.

So far, this has happened with Mullvad VPN, IVPN, and Discord, all of which were installed with a downloaded .deb package. Apps installed via Flatpak that have a tray icon do not have this issue. EDIT: Flatpak applications like Discord and qbittorrent have started having this issue.

This happens on KDE Neon 5.23 on X11.

Is there a way to fix this? Thanks.

Last edited by electw on Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Popanz
Registered Member
I have the same Problems. JDownloader Systray pluin brings down the whole graphic sysetm after the update :(
kescher
Registered Member
OS
Recently upgraded to 5.23 and later to 5.23.1 on Arch Linux. Ever since the 5.23 upgrade, the system tray exhibits the behaviour described by electw.
It doesn't matter if I'm left-clicking or right-clicking a tray icon, when the System Tray plasmoid acts up, it seems as if it spams right-click violently wherever the mouse cursor is moved for an indefinite amount of time, creating a lot of popups this way that are hard to get to close again.

Of note: On 5.23, everytime I started Plasma (using LightDM), the KDE Crash Handler popped into my system tray (ironically enough), informing me of a segmentation fault caused by something in either org.kde.plasma.systemtray.so or org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray.so (not sure which one it was, the stracktrace might've contained both).
This segmentation fault disappeared with 5.23.1, but the issue described here stayed.
kescher
Registered Member
OS
Nevermind, the crash handler appeared once again on 5.23.1. The stacktrace became:

Application: Plasma (plasmashell), signal: Segmentation fault

[KCrash Handler]
#4 0x00007f852c0ac780 in () at /usr/lib/qt/plugins/plasma/applets/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray.so
#5 0x00007f852c0b4b26 in () at /usr/lib/qt/plugins/plasma/applets/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray.so
#6 0x00007f853486f703 in QConcatenateTablesProxyModel::data(QModelIndex const&, int) const () at /usr/lib/libQt5Core.so.5
#7 0x00007f853487c341 in QSortFilterProxyModel::data(QModelIndex const&, int) const () at /usr/lib/libQt5Core.so.5
#8 0x00007f853487c341 in QSortFilterProxyModel::data(QModelIndex const&, int) const () at /usr/lib/libQt5Core.so.5
#9 0x00007f8533807270 in () at /usr/lib/libQt5QmlModels.so.5
#10 0x00007f8535cfcf66 in () at /usr/lib/libQt5Qml.so.5
#11 0x00007f84ba21325f in ()
#12 0x0000000000000000 in ()
[Inferior 1 (process 1704) detached]
BulletDust
Registered Member
I can say I have experienced the exact same odd behavior regarding 3rd party system tray icons.

Running htop, I see cpu usage on one core spike to 100% while all system tray menu's are all messed up, only producing shadows. The Application Launcher menu stops working and the whole system generally becomes very unresponsive.
hereticway
Registered Member
I have the exact same issue with 3rd party applications unfortunately.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
Folks:

bugs.kde.org, please! Especially as there are enough people who are experiencing this.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
electw
Registered Member
claydoh wrote:Folks:

bugs.kde.org, please! Especially as there are enough people who are experiencing this.

Thanks for the reminder. Seems like it has a thread, bug 444385, and a fix has been pushed. I'll wait for the 5.23.3 release and see if the issue is still present.
electw
Registered Member
Appears to be resolved in 5.23.3.