This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Replace pusleaudio with pipewire

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
earl
Registered Member

Replace pusleaudio with pipewire

Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:52 pm
I am running KDE Neon using Pipewire as distributed but apparently that doesn't completely replace PulseAudio. However, site https://wiki.debian.org/PipeWire describes a process for doing this. But the referenced command "cp /usr/share/doc/pipewire/examples/systemd/user/pipewire-pulse.* /etc/systemd/user/" returns "no such file" which indeed does not have any "examples". Question: where can I find these "examples" such that I may complete this pipewire update process?
Also: Is there any reason why the KDE Neon distro does not implement this "full pipewire" scenario by default? Thanks in advance.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
earl wrote:Also: Is there any reason why the KDE Neon distro does not implement this "full pipewire" scenario by default? Thanks in advance.

KDE Neon is using Ubuntu 20.04 as the actual OS, they are not a full distro in this regard so they don't do much if anything to the core system.
They focus on Plasma mostly, so things of a somewhat non-KDE nature :) take longer to happen.

Also, the link you give shows instructions for different variants of Debian. Did you follow more of the page's directions, particularly for the ALSA configuration section that says to install pipewire-audio-client-libraries , which is what provides those example files?

Also, the directions specifically for Debian Unstable/Testing are probably the ones to follow, noting the difference in file locations.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
earl
Registered Member
Yes, I did the ALSA instructions and that touch/copy did work. However, I still get cp: cannot stat '/usr/share/doc/pipewire/examples/systemd/user/pipewire-pulse.*': No such file or directory. Thus I have not attempted the remaining systemctl instructions as I gather I have not yet created the pipewire-pulse service. If I ls /usr/share/doc/pipewire/examples I get only alsa.conf.d ld.so.conf.d README.audio but no "systemd" directory with its "examples".
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
You shouldn't need to follow those systemd related steps, KDE Neon is not the same as Debian 11.
Follow the steps specifically for Debian Testing/Unstable, including the ALSA section, that is all you need to do.

It worked for me, following the above.
I reverted back as my USB headset was not working, and I did not feel like troubleshooting at that time. Otherwise my other audio devices were working just fine.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
earl
Registered Member
Thanks! LANG=C pactl info | grep '^Server Name' does now indicate pipewire!
Browsing into youtube vides and VLC work fine. Your help is much appreciated. :)