This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma 5.24.0 - NetworkManager not working with kdewallet

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dlb
Registered Member
Hi,
My Neon install upgraded to Plasma 5.24.0, and NetworkManager is no longer working with kdewallet:

Code: Select all
Feb  8 17:19:37 redoak NetworkManager[886]: <warn>  [1644358777.3026] device (wlp58s0): no secrets: No agents were available for this request.
Feb  8 17:19:37 redoak NetworkManager[886]: <info>  [1644358777.3027] device (wlp58s0): state change: need-auth -> failed (reason 'no-secrets', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
Feb  8 17:19:37 redoak NetworkManager[886]: <info>  [1644358777.3039] manager: NetworkManager state is now DISCONNECTED
Feb  8 17:19:37 redoak NetworkManager[886]: <warn>  [1644358777.3087] device (wlp58s0): Activation: failed for connection 'foobar'
Feb  8 17:19:37 redoak NetworkManager[886]: <info>  [1644358777.3097] device (wlp58s0): state change: failed -> disconnected (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
Feb  8 17:19:37 redoak DiscoverNotifier[1609]: "No such interface “org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties” on object at path /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/3"

I have confirmed that my wallet is named "kdewallet", is opened, and other apps are working with it (eg kwalletmanager5). Any ideas why this stopped working? Thank you!
tniagcpm
Registered Member
OS
My NetworkManager won't connect to any connection requiring authentication - WiFi, L2TP VPN, Wireguard VPN.
I could get a WiFi up using "nmcli --ask connection up <WiFiConnectionName>", which prompted for the password.
That doesn't work for the VPN connections.

SystemSettings - Connections does not show the secrets either, just empty fields instead of the circle characters
It also produces Notifications "Failed to get secrets for <ConnectionName>"
"Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

I agree with you - it's a problem with Message Bus access to the kdewallet system.
tniagcpm
Registered Member
OS
tniagcpm
Registered Member
OS
Plasma 5.24.1 & Frameworks 5.91 still has the problem for me.

It is related to KDED not answering D-Bus calls for NetworkManager.GetSecret(), so saved passwords are not returned.
Actually, it does not answer any D-Bus call, causing many strange ~30s delays in the apps & desktop.
tniagcpm
Registered Member
OS
I found that the System Setting "Detect proxy configuration automatically" was causing it for me.
Setting the Proxy Type to None will fix a broken system.
Setting is saved in file ~/.config/kioslaverc
Removing the file, or changing [Proxy Settings] ProxyType from 3 to 0.
monoanji
Registered Member
Thank you ver much, that workaround worked for me on Manjaro, which has recently been updated to 5.24.2
opoplawski
Registered Member
This should be fixed in 5.24.7.