This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE Neon Build 22.04 Release Date?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
eddielitz
Registered Member

KDE Neon Build 22.04 Release Date?

Tue May 03, 2022 12:52 am
Has a released date been decided for KDE Neon Build 22.04?
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
There never has been a firm date for LTS upgrades, but it will be *after* Ubuntu have released the first updated ISO for Jammy, inlate July early August. Past Neon upgrades have happened in August (20.04) and late September (18.04).

Last edited by claydoh on Sun May 08, 2022 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
Drizzt321
Registered Member
So 22.04 has been officially released, https://ubuntu.com/blog/ubuntu-22-04-lts-released, any Neon dev have a guestimate for a Neon 22.04 release? I understand it won't be tomorrow, clearly, but a month? 2? 3? It'd be nice to have a guess to set my timeline expectations, even if it ends up taking longer.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
Drizzt321 wrote:So 22.04 has been officially released, https://ubuntu.com/blog/ubuntu-22-04-lts-released, any Neon dev have a guestimate for a Neon 22.04 release? I understand it won't be tomorrow, clearly, but a month? 2? 3? It'd be nice to have a guess to set my timeline expectations, even if it ends up taking longer.

At some point after Ubuntu 22.04.1 is released, as I mentioned. Which is slated for August 4. The upgrade to 20.04 happened on August 10, while the first upgrade, to 18.04 happened at the end of September. This one had some delays as this was the first time setting up the processes.

There are no firm dates here at all, other than waiting for the .1 LTS release from Ubuntu.

It looks like the Unstable (less stable git testing versions of Plasma) may already be using 22.04, so maybe they will have a release on the earlier side this time, now that they have a couple of upgrades under their belts.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
pepan
Registered Member
claydoh wrote:
Drizzt321 wrote:So 22.04 has been officially released, https://ubuntu.com/blog/ubuntu-22-04-lts-released, any Neon dev have a guestimate for a Neon 22.04 release? I understand it won't be tomorrow, clearly, but a month? 2? 3? It'd be nice to have a guess to set my timeline expectations, even if it ends up taking longer.

At some point after Ubuntu 22.04.1 is released, as I mentioned. Which is slated for August 4. The upgrade to 20.04 happened on August 10, while the first upgrade, to 18.04 happened at the end of September. This one had some delays as this was the first time setting up the processes.

There are no firm dates here at all, other than waiting for the .1 LTS release from Ubuntu.

It looks like the Unstable (less stable git testing versions of Plasma) may already be using 22.04, so maybe they will have a release on the earlier side this time, now that they have a couple of upgrades under their belts.

Unstable version 9.may is Focal based :(
ratajsk
Registered Member
There is some update on this on the KDE neon blog: https://blog.neon.kde.org/2022/08/19/kde-neon-jammy-porting-update/
boospy007
Registered Member
OS
FreeStyler
Registered Member
Finally!
KDE neon Rebased on Jammy
Posted on October 21, 2022
KDE neon builds packages of KDE software using latest Ubuntu LTS as a base. Every couple of years there’s a new Ubuntu LTS and so we build all our package and infrastructure onto that. We’ve just finished the move onto Ubuntu 22.04 (jammy) and installable ISO images are now based on that.
We’ll enable to upgrade for existing installs on Monday.

https://blog.neon.kde.org/2022/10/21/kd ... d-on-jammy
boospy007
Registered Member
OS
sebastriani
Registered Member
OS
Sorry I'm kind of new in the community, I've been running Neon first time since versión 20.04 so I've never been through a base upgrade.
i just installed the new ISO on a VM, but sincerelly I don't see why should I upgrade...
Kernel is the same version, KDE all the same except Plasma is 5.26.1 instead of 5.26.0, all what I've read so far about Ubuntu 22.04 new features are related to Gnome.
Are there any benefits of upgrading other than the APT sources are now pointing to jammy?
gfielding
Registered Member
OS
Good question.

If the pattern of the previous base upgrade is repeated I would comment that there is no compulsion to upgrade straight away. The previous base versions are supported for a period but once the new base has been established support ceases. The actual upgrade process is very straightforward.

I have aleady upgraded - using a test iso - and everything worked fine. Another positive point in upgrading is things like setting up my scanner were smoother with the jammy base.

With Neon of course you have a bang up todate Plasma based on an ageing ubuntu base. The gap between Plasma and the base becomes longer as time moves on with more chance of something braking. Not that we have had many issues, so far.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
sebastriani wrote:Sorry I'm kind of new in the community, I've been running Neon first time since versión 20.04 so I've never been through a base upgrade.
i just installed the new ISO on a VM, but sincerelly I don't see why should I upgrade...
Kernel is the same version, KDE all the same except Plasma is 5.26.1 instead of 5.26.0, all what I've read so far about Ubuntu 22.04 new features are related to Gnome.
Are there any benefits of upgrading other than the APT sources are now pointing to jammy?

There is no need for a mad rush to upgrade, for sure, if one does not desire to.
But at some point in the near future they will stop providing any updates to the older 20.04 base.

While the 20.04 base currently has the same kernel as 22.04, it originally came with 5.4, and at some point Ubuntu slows or stops kernel upgrades. The 22.04 base is *starting* on the 5.15 kernel, and will see updates as per usual Ubuntu LTS practice, and is good to keep up with reasonable levels of up to date hardware support.

In actuality, most of the changes in Ubuntu 22.04 have little to do with Gnome at all, it is just the reporting is desktop-focused (and lazy).

The non-KDE software library will be more current (or less old, depending on your viewing angle ;D ), as well as core OS components

sebastriani
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for your comments gfielding & claydoh, very informative and useful!
I'll keep a timeshift back up and then make the in-place upgrade tomorrow if they enable it (or when it's enabled)