This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Installing VirtualBox in KDE neon 5.24

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
brebreb
Registered Member
Hi everyone,

I am new to this Linux environment, so it is quite challenging to understand what is happening while installing things. I tried to install VirtualBox using command lines. I followed the steps described in a tutorial https://pupli.net/2019/08/install-virtualbox-on-kde-neon-ubuntu-18-04/ , but they didn't go through.
I some point I finally typed :
Code: Select all
sudo apt install virtualbox-6.0

It does :
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
Investigating (0) virtualbox-6.0:amd64 < none -> 6.0.24-139119~Ubuntu~bionic @un puN Ib >
Broken virtualbox-6.0:amd64 Depends on libqt5opengl5:amd64 < none | 5.15.4+p20.04+tunstable+git20220613.0051-0 @un uH > (>= 5.0.2)
  Considering libqt5opengl5:amd64 0 as a solution to virtualbox-6.0:amd64 9999
  Re-Instated libqt5opengl5:amd64
Broken virtualbox-6.0:amd64 Depends on libvpx5:amd64 < none @un H > (>= 1.6.0)
Broken virtualbox-6.0:amd64 Depends on python:amd64 < none @un H > (< 2.8)
  Considering python-is-python2:amd64 0 as a solution to virtualbox-6.0:amd64 9999
  Re-Instated libpython2.7-minimal:amd64
  Re-Instated python2.7-minimal:amd64
  Re-Instated python2-minimal:amd64
  Re-Instated libpython2.7-stdlib:amd64
  Re-Instated python2.7:amd64
  Re-Instated libpython2-stdlib:amd64
  Re-Instated python2:amd64
  Re-Instated python-is-python2:amd64
Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 virtualbox-6.0 : Depends: libvpx5 (>= 1.6.0) but it is not installable
                  Recommends: libsdl-ttf2.0-0 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Do you know how I could "fix" my broken packages?

Thanks in advance,

Brebreb
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
Those instructions may be old, for *buntu 18.04. Instructions for Ubuntu 20.04 will work here, as this is what KDE neon is.
You probably can fix this by editing the repo info you added

Open /etc/apt/sources.list with kate/kwrite, and edit the lines, replacing 'bionic' with 'focal' which will point things to the Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal) compatible packages.

Then save, update, and try again, though install virtualbox-6.1 instead, which is much more current.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
brebreb
Registered Member
Hi Claydoh, thanks for the fast and efficient answer!
I did everything you wrote and it worked perfectly. I have another error now, but within VB a window pops up with the following message:

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver is either not loaded or not set up correctly. Please try setting it up again by executing
'/sbin/vboxconfig'
as root.
If your system has EFI Secure Boot enabled you may also need to sign the kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load them. Please see your Linux system's documentation for more information.
where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.

I don't know what it means yet, but it's another topic I guess, so I'll check that a bit deeper. (If you have an idea, you are very welcome though ;) )

Thanks again.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
brebreb wrote:Hi Claydoh, thanks for the fast and efficient answer!
I did everything you wrote and it worked perfectly. I have another error now, but within VB a window pops up with the following message:

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver is either not loaded or not set up correctly. Please try setting it up again by executing
'/sbin/vboxconfig'
as root.
If your system has EFI Secure Boot enabled you may also need to sign the kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load them. Please see your Linux system's documentation for more information.
where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.

I don't know what it means yet, but it's another topic I guess, so I'll check that a bit deeper. (If you have an idea, you are very welcome though ;) )

Thanks again.

The messaging tells you exactly what to do ;D , at least to start. Run that command. You *might* need to reboot afterward.
Otherwise, you *may* also have to disable secure boot in your bios if you still get similar messages (easier than signing things)

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
brebreb
Registered Member
Hi,

I tried /sbin/vboxconfig before, it does

rm: cannot remove '/sbin/rcvboxdrv': Permission denied
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/sbin/rcvboxdrv': File exists
/sbin/vboxconfig: 155: cannot create /lib/systemd/system/vboxdrv.service: Permission denied
rm: cannot remove '/sbin/rcvboxballoonctrl-service': Permission denied
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/sbin/rcvboxballoonctrl-service': File exists
/sbin/vboxconfig: 155: cannot create /lib/systemd/system/vboxballoonctrl-service.service: Permission denied
rm: cannot remove '/sbin/rcvboxautostart-service': Permission denied
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/sbin/rcvboxautostart-service': File exists
/sbin/vboxconfig: 155: cannot create /lib/systemd/system/vboxautostart-service.service: Permission denied
rm: cannot remove '/sbin/rcvboxweb-service': Permission denied
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/sbin/rcvboxweb-service': File exists
/sbin/vboxconfig: 155: cannot create /lib/systemd/system/vboxweb-service.service: Permission denied

What did you mean by reboot/disable secure boot?

Also, you actually fixed my initial problem, should I close this topic, and open a new one?

Thanks in advance,

Renaud
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
rm: cannot remove '/sbin/rcvboxdrv': Permission denied

"Permission denied" means you need to use sudo when running the original /sbin/vboxconfig command, as you need elevated (admin) privileges in order to do this operation.

After successfully running the command, you *might* have to reboot for it to start working, I am not sure if it does. It has been ages since I have used VB.

As to secure boot, that is a setting in your bios, that you potentially need to switch off, if it still does not work.

idinfocus
Registered Member
In your computer's firmware/BIOS/UEFI, make sure that all hardware virtualization technologies available for your computer are enabled: Intel VT-x, Intel VT-d, AMD AMD-V, AMD-Vi, other (EPT, RVI, VMCS shadowing, GVT, SR-IOV etc.). If it is available and you can enable it, then enable it.

Arch/Manjaro: sudo pacman -S virtualbox
Fedora: sudo dnf install VirtualBox
KDE Neon/Kubuntu/Ubuntu/Debian: sudo apt install virtualbox
openSUSE Leap & Tumbleweed: sudo zypper install virtualbox
macOS: brew install virtualbox
Windows: https://virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Once VirtualBox is installed, launch it.