This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Snaps do not auto-update

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
korakios
Registered Member

Snaps do not auto-update

Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:47 pm
Hi,
I get notification about closing the app to update. Closing re-launching the app ,doesn't work
Updating thru Discover doen't affect snap apps

Workaround is
Code: Select all
 sudo snap refresh

which obviously is not a user friendly experience

If there is a better place to report the bug for the devs of KDE Neon please post a link :)

Operating System: KDE neon 5.25
KDE Plasma Version: 5.25.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.95.0
Qt Version: 5.15.5
Kernel Version: 5.13.0-52-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz
Memory: 7.5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 620
Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Product Name: XPS 13 9370
sebbr
Registered Member

Re: Snaps do not auto-update  Topic is solved

Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:10 pm
This is how snap currently works, it's not really a bug but not-so-great UX. Good news is that snap devs are working on it, see here https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/wip-refres ... ness/10736

What happens is that snap notices that there is an update for a currently running snap app. Snap currently cannot update the app while it's running so displays the message.
BUT snap will not immediately update the app when it was closed by the user but does so only scheduled at a certain time or whatever. So user is expected to either leave the app closed for a day or so until snap finally decides to actually update the app or do the "snap refresh" command line call. It's not great, I know.
korakios
Registered Member

Re: Snaps do not auto-update

Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:20 pm
sebbr wrote:This is how snap currently works, it's not really a bug but not-so-great UX. Good news is that snap devs are working on it, see here https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/wip-refres ... ness/10736

What happens is that snap notices that there is an update for a currently running snap app. Snap currently cannot update the app while it's running so displays the message.
BUT snap will not immediately update the app when it was closed by the user but does so only scheduled at a certain time or whatever. So user is expected to either leave the app closed for a day or so until snap finally decides to actually update the app or do the "snap refresh" command line call. It's not great, I know.

Thanks , I though it was Neon specific thing .
norbertxxx
Registered Member

Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:19 pm
sebbr wrote:Snap currently cannot update the app while it's running so displays the message.

I really like this idea, I think I will close the app, uninstall and install from apt....
sgmoore
Registered Member

Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:17 am
I will bring this up on snapcraft.io, it seems like a solvable problem. I would hate for it to be a show stopper :(

I have opened the conversation here, where it might get attention to get fixed.

https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/auto-updat ... ndly/34932