This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE neon rebease on Ubuntu 22.04 Now Available

Tags: update issues update issues update issues
(comma "," separated)
TomaszKane
Registered Member
OS
In my case this problem:
Code: Select all
Unit packagekit.socket does not exist, proceeding anyway.
Created symlink /run/systemd/system/packagekit.socket → /dev/null.
Created symlink /run/systemd/system/packagekit.service → /dev/null.
Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.systemd1.UnitMasked: Unit packagekit.service is masked.
Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.systemd1.UnitMasked: Unit packagekit.service is masked.
exitMainLoopMidFlight
None
Removed /run/systemd/system/packagekit.service.
Removed /run/systemd/system/packagekit.socket.

is caused by missing valid GPG for GitHub CLI repo. My `apt` says:
W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: https://cli.github.com/packages stable InRelease: Następujące podpisy nie mogły zostać zweryfikowane z powodu braku klucza publicznego: NO_PUBKEY 23F3D4EA75716059
W: Nie udało się pobrać https://cli.github.com/packages/dists/stable/InRelease  Następujące podpisy nie mogły zostać zweryfikowane z powodu braku klucza publicznego: NO_PUBKEY 23F3D4EA75716059
W: Nie udało się pobrać niektórych plików indeksu, zostały one zignorowane lub użyto ich starszej wersji.

so after removing it, do-release-upgrade works.
davide445
Registered Member
OS
Upgraded yesterday to 22.04 my Neon installed on a second SSD from remote, and returning today to the office have found the PC stuck to a black screen with only the pointer moving.

Rebooting resulted in a black screen with only
[ 6.370678]
displayed, after that returning to a black screen with only the mouse pointer.
Tried using the recovery mode and upgrading/removing packages using dpkg with no effect.
The alert returning to normal boot is telling some graphics drivers need a full reboot to show a gui, and to reboot from the login screen.
Seems I'm stuck in the login screen but with no other than the mouse arrow to see.
Rebooting by hardware button return always to same screen.

Also last time I upgraded Neon I was forced to reinstall all from scratch, due was not booting anymore.

Update: after doing an update as root I get at least to this screen

https://imgur.com/a/YY0S86B

using my account I get a login error

Tried installing nvidia drivers, also from pkcon there is no other update available.
Did't know what else to do, if there is any suggestion I can try otherwise I'm thinking if have more sense to use Neon in a VM or switch back to Kubuntu.
jofe
Registered Member
davide445 wrote:Upgraded yesterday to 22.04 my Neon installed on a second SSD from remote, and returning today to the office have found the PC stuck to a black screen with only the pointer moving.

[ 6.370678]
Tried using the recovery mode and upgrading/removing packages using dpkg with no effect.
The alert returning to normal boot is telling some graphics drivers need a full reboot to show a gui, and to reboot from the login screen.
Seems I'm stuck in the login screen but with no other than the mouse arrow to see.

Also last time I upgraded Neon I was forced to reinstall all from scratch, due was not booting anymore.

Tried installing nvidia drivers, also from pkcon there is no other update available.
Did't know what else to do, if there is any suggestion I can try otherwise I'm thinking if have more sense to use Neon in a VM or switch back to Kubuntu.

I went back to Kubuntu.
daret
Registered Member
I got an error by upgrade (2. step), that mandatory package "neon-desktop" can't be installed.

Installer want to continue anyway.
Can I proceed, or is it not going to end well?

daret
Registered Member
daret wrote:I got an error by upgrade (2. step), that mandatory package "neon-desktop" can't be installed.

Installer want to continue anyway.
Can I proceed, or is it not going to end well?

It looks like, the package is in
http://archive.neon.kde.org/user/
repo, which was not enabled.
TomaszKane
Registered Member
OS
daret wrote:I got an error by upgrade (2. step), that mandatory package "neon-desktop" can't be installed.

For me problem was dependency to kio-extras who has dependency to libopenexr25 but apt search has only libopenexr24.

So go to https://packages.ubuntu.com/jammy/libopenexr25 and add
deb http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy main universe
to sources list.

Then apt update && pkcon update
daret
Registered Member
Bad news.
Update failed 1 min before finish on some openmpi-bin package.
I suggest to uninstall it first.

After fail, I had to repair packages (sudo dpkg --configure -a), which was not easy, because mpi doesn't wanted to repair or uninstall.
Removing mpi file in /var/...something.../ made the trick.

After reboot I realized, that neon-desktop is not installed. Only openbox I have had installed was available.
So I installe neon-desktop (sudo pkcon install neon-desktop) and luckily after the reboot plasma was available.

Good news
It works now.
TomaszKane
Registered Member
OS
BTW this is worst upgrade I have in last few years.
After resolve problem with neon-desktop, I still have problems with not working Bluetooth, multimedia keys on keyboard, VPN connection...
davide445
Registered Member
OS
davide445 wrote:Upgraded yesterday to 22.04 my Neon installed on a second SSD from remote, and returning today to the office have found the PC stuck to a black screen with only the pointer moving.

[ 6.370678]

To give an update, following a suggestion on Linuxquestions I switched TTY and accessing in this way my user by console I was able to run again different updates, before being notified an upgrade 20.04-->22.04 was available (!).
So I launched this and finally got back my Plasma working.
I think multiple problems was superimposing themself during first upgrade attempt

- was upgrading from remote, on a dual boot machine, without being able to see what was going on, so totally unattended
- NoMachine remote desktop server is running due I always use NoMachine for remote work, and I was using Wayland as compositor. I discovered later these two didn't work well together. Now switched back to X11
- I found Neon update/upgrade system improving during the time, but always very fragile

Now my Neon installation is back and running, but I think next big problem I will revert back to Kubuntu
kdeoldster
Registered Member
OS
Finally did the upgrade today. All went reasonably well after having to run "dpkg --configure -a". Not as smooth as the last 2 upgrades, but nonetheless, upgrade is completed and Thank You all around to the devs and staff.