This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

(Solved) I cannot install Wine staging on KDE Neon Jammy

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kde-bertil
Registered Member
Is it possible to release the hold on libpoppler-glib8 with the new wine 8?
mrbumpy409
Registered Member
OS
kde-bertil wrote:Is it possible to release the hold on libpoppler-glib8 with the new wine 8?

Unfortunately not. The libpoppler-glib8 package is still a dependency due to Wine 8's dependency on libsane1.
mrbumpy409
Registered Member
OS
If you are using a Wine version from the WineHQ PPA, you may have noticed recent dependency issues caused by libjpeg-turbo8. It took me some time, but I was able to resolve these issues, so I thought I would share my solution with you. The issue is caused by KDE neon supplying only a 64-bit version of the libjpeg-turbo8 upgrade to version 2.1.5 from 2.1.2. I solved this by creating a custom 32-bit libjpeg-turbo8:i386 package based on the 2.1.5 version available in the Ubuntu repository.

Please take care when following these steps. You should not attempt the following unless you are very confident with manipulating packages in neon, as I will not be held liable if you bork your system.

1. Uninstall all Wine packages (winehq*, wine-*).
2. Autoremove all unneeded packages (sudo apt autoremove)
3. Temporarily remove any libpoppler-glib8 package pin you might have set to previously install Wine.
4. Grab all updates: (sudo apt full-upgrade) This will upgrade libjpeg-turbo8, replacing libjpeg8 libraries and also allow some libpoppler packages to update properly.
5. Verify that the installed version of libjpeg-turbo8 is 1:2.1.5-2+22.04+jammy+release+build6. Assuming this is correct, download my custom 32-bit libjpeg-turbo8 package and double-click it to install. KDE neon now contains the 32-bit libjpeg-turbo8 package as well as different version numbers altogether. See my next post for more up-to-date info on libjpeg-turbo8.
6. Re-enable/create your libpoppler-glib8 pin (see my instructions here), then: sudo apt update and sudo apt full-upgrade will downgrade the package to the Ubuntu repository version (22.02.0-2ubuntu0.1).
7. Reinstall Wine (sudo apt install winehq-staging or whatever version you were using). If apt complains about neon-adwaita causing issues, then install adwaita-icon-theme-full prior to installing Wine.

Good luck! I hope this helps somebody. :)

Last edited by mrbumpy409 on Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonnycache
Registered Member
I described an similar problem with the wine-installation directly from the repos (wine-6.0.3 (Ubuntu 6.0.3~repack-1)). I cant install wine32, so i cant use many programs…
The minimum should be to provide wine from the repos. WineHQ i tried also, but it didnt worked for me because of the same problems that shown in the above posts.
If i use lutris or proton, i can use wine from the repos and then the special wine versions from for example lutris or Proton. But i need minimum an wine installation from the repos with wine32.
I cant understand, why this is not provided, its an ubuntu based distro, so this should work but it dont worked for me without dependency issues.

Greetings Hondo
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
jonnycache wrote:I cant understand, why this is not provided, its an ubuntu based distro, so this should work but it dont worked for me without dependency issues.

No, neon is not quite a distro at all.
BUT...someone is working on this at this very moment, among other fixes for non-KDE software:

https://build.neon.kde.org/job/jammy_un ... _bin_i386/
https://github.com/carlosdem/pangea-too ... /1/commits

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
mrbumpy409
Registered Member
OS
The latest update in this saga involves a libjpeg-turbo8 version number downgrade and a new missing 32-bit package (libharfbuzz0b). Some of you may have noticed that system update wants to remove a lot of core applications and components. Perhaps my own resolution to this issue may help you as well.

I will address the two aforementioned issues individually, starting with libharfbuzz0b. KDE neon has recently updated libharfbuzz, but not the 32-bit libharfbuzz0b package required by WineHQ. Fortunately, the required 32-bit 6.0.0 version exists in upstream Ubuntu, so I simply needed to alter the .deb file to match KDE neon's version number. Unfortunately, with there being multiple packaging conflicts, it will be necessary to tread carefully through the following steps. Be advised that messing with system packages can result in a broken system, so consider yourself warned!

To follow these steps, it is highly recommended to have both Synaptic and Qapt installed.

Fixing libharfbuzz0b:i386

3-17-2023 UPDATE: KDE neon has decided to roll back the libharfbuzz0b version to resolve the package conflict it caused. The steps below are no longer needed. If you've already followed these steps, please see my next post for the proper resolution.

1. Install my custom libharfbuzz0b:i386 package using Qapt.
2. Start Synaptic. It will report that there are broken packages. Go to "All" view and select all installed libharfbuzz* packages except for libharfbuzz0b:i386, right click one of them and select "Mark for Upgrade" and then hit "Apply" to mark the whole group to be upgraded. This will resolve the broken package situation and ensure that both the 64-bit and 32-bit packages are at the same version.

Fixing libjpeg-turbo8

The previous update to libjpeg-turbo8 set the version number at 1:2.1.5 and flagged libjpeg-turbo8 as a replacement for the corresponding libjpeg8 packages. However, the devs realized it was incorrect to do it this way, so the latest update sets the libjpeg-turbo8 version number to 2.1.5 and no longer flags it as a replacement for libjpeg8. For some people, these packages may have correctly resolved automatically during update, but I had issues, partly because of my custom 32-bit libjpeg-turbo8 package not being accounted for by the upgrade logic. So, here is how I resolved my libjpeg-turbo8 issues:

1. Run:
Code: Select all
sudo apt update

2. Using Synaptic, upgrade any packages beginning with "neon-" that need upgrading.
3. If you have libjpeg-dev installed, uninstall it.
4. Install/upgrade libturbojpeg.
5. See which packages you have installed that begin with "libjpeg-turbo8". and make note of the latest version available. You will need to manually issue a downgrade command at the terminal as well as install the corresponding libjpeg8* packages. So, as it stands today, if you have both libjpeg-turbo8 and libjpeg-turbo8:i386 installed, you would issue the following command:
sudo apt install libjpeg-turbo8=2.1.5-2+22.04+jammy+release+build13 libjpeg-turbo8:i386=2.1.5-2+22.04+jammy+release+build13 libjpeg8 libjpeg8:i386

In my case, I also had the libjpeg-turbo8-dev package installed, so instead I did:
sudo apt install libjpeg-turbo8=2.1.5-2+22.04+jammy+release+build13 libjpeg-turbo8-dev=2.1.5-2+22.04+jammy+release+build13 libjpeg-turbo8:i386=2.1.5-2+22.04+jammy+release+build13 libjpeg8 libjpeg8-dev libjpeg8:i386

After this, I was able to successfully grab all updates, and WineHQ continues to work just fine. I hope it helps you resolve your issue as well.

Last edited by mrbumpy409 on Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrbumpy409
Registered Member
OS
Latest update: Today, along with Plasma 5.27.3 comes the package neon-settings-2 which will cause the harfbuzz packages to revert to an earlier version on the subsequent upgrade. However, doing so will attempt to remove the following packages: hplip libraqm0 python3-pil python3-reportlab. If you installed my 32-bit libharfbuzz0b package from the post above, it will also attempt to remove the following additional packages: libdecor-0-plugin-1-cairo:i386 libgtk-3-0:i386 libharfbuzz0b:i386 libpango-1.0-0:i386 libpangocairo-1.0-0:i386 libpangoft2-1.0-0:i386 libraqm0 librsvg2-2:i386 librsvg2-common:i386.

This is because, in addition to downgrading the harfbuzz packages, it is also necessary to downgrade libraqm0, but this package didn't get pinned with the neon-settings-2 update along with the others.

To resolve this issue:

1. Make sure you have the latest update to neon-settings-2 (version 0.4+p22.04+trelease+git20230316.1631).
2. If you previously installed my custom 32-bit libharfbuzz0b package, run:
sudo apt install gir1.2-harfbuzz-0.0=2.7.4-1ubuntu3.1 libharfbuzz0b=2.7.4-1ubuntu3.1 libharfbuzz0b:i386=2.7.4-1ubuntu3.1 libraqm0=0.8.0-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build11

...otherwise, run:
sudo apt install gir1.2-harfbuzz-0.0=2.7.4-1ubuntu3.1 libharfbuzz0b=2.7.4-1ubuntu3.1 libraqm0=0.8.0-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build11

You should be in the clear now. A pin for libraqm0 might be coming in a future neon-settings-2 upgrade, so keep an eye out for that. In the meantime, apt seems to be keeping the upgradable libraqm0 in the "held packages" state, so it shouldn't cause any issues now, even without the pin. I'll post more if anything changes.
captaincorgi
Registered Member
I appreciate the workaround tips, but can we please just have the 32-bit libraries for these ahead-of-upstream libraries? Non-KDE software must be usable. It's why I chose Neon for the 'stable' Ubuntu base. As much as I certainly prefer KDE software, the plain and simple fact is that it cannot cover everything I need. This is a general-purpose desktop OS, and as such should be as versatile as it's base would imply.
BulletDust
Registered Member
OK, once again because it seems there's no resolution in sight regarding the running of Wine under KDE Neon...

Can the devs 'please' do something about the dependency issue regarding Wine under KDE Neon as the workarounds simply aren't a reliable solution. Wine is an important part of many installs and claiming that KDE devs only support KDE software is flatly laughable.

Can we please resolve the issue regarding Wine under KDE Neon.