This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to upgrade KDE Neon's kernel to 6.x?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dumetrulo
Registered Member
I'm running KDE Neon based on Jammy, and I noticed that while kernel 6.0/6.1 have been out for a while, no easy update seems to be available yet.

Thus my question: what is the best way to upgrade KDE Neon's kernel to a 6.x version?
gfielding
Registered Member
OS
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
dumetrulo wrote:I'm running KDE Neon based on Jammy, and I noticed that while kernel 6.0/6.1 have been out for a while, no easy update seems to be available yet.

Thus my question: what is the best way to upgrade KDE Neon's kernel to a 6.x version?

Neon, being Ubuntu 22.04 LTS , uses whatever version this will have. We *should* see a kernel bump around the time 23.04 comes out, I think. Not sure if it will be a 6.x version, though.

*buntu users have a few options for third party and semi-official-unofficial kernels.
One is the above PPA, that clearly states:
This ppa is used for building pre-release and test kernels.

It IS NOT RECOMMENDED that you subscribe to this PPA.

There are other options, such as the popular Mainline builds: https://linuxhint.com/install-upgrade-l ... ntu-22-04/
These sometimes aren't fully patched to work fully on all hardware, though. This seems less common these days, though. \

Other options are custom builds such as Xanmod and Liquorix

All have pluses and minuses. The Mainline kernels are the safest bet, plus having the added bonus of a useful utility.

EDIT:
I somehow missed the obscure meta-package linux-image-oem-22.04b that pulls in the 6.0.0 kernel.
linux-image-oem-22.04a installed a 5.17
So, the usual lets-confuse-things-every-few-years tactics apply everywhere ??? ;)
At some point there will be a 22.04c with 6.1 or something, I imagine.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
dumetrulo
Registered Member
Thank you @gfielding and @claydoh, I will snapshot my btrfs volumes, and see what gives with the options you provided.

Happy new year!
dumetrulo
Registered Member
I have now installed linux-image-oem-22.04b, and everything seems to continue to work.

Whether it helps with the particular issues I am seeing on this laptop remains to be seen.
dumetrulo
Registered Member
After using Kernel 6.0 for a week, I can report that it seems to work very well, and that I have not seen the freezes I used to see frequently with Kernel 5.15. :)