This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Problems with Jan 3 "system upgrade" to KDE Neon?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mmwatson
Registered Member
I hope I'm submitting this in the correct place.

Has anyone had problems after installing the latest update to KDE Neon? I installed 5.26 as a VM in December, and was able to update it several times after installing it, but the last update - a large file, some 228.9 megabytes, which contained linux firmware updates, python3-updater updates, and some kind of system-updater update, appears to have bricked my installation. The update downloaded and installed without apparent issues, and prompted me to reboot. On reboot, it went through a very brief "installing" screen, and then presented me with a "select operating system" boot menu, offering four choices: "Neon Gnu/Linux", "Advanced Options for Neon Gnu/Linux", "Memory test (memtest86+.elf)", and "Memory test (memtest86+.bin, serial console)". But no matter which one I select, it just freezes up at that point and does not proceed to boot. It also won't boot it I select nothing, and rely on the default selection that is called at 30 seconds.

I'm running KDE Neon on a VM within VMWare Workstation 17 player. Is there some way to get past this menu to roll back the update? Or am I missing a known issue?
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
if you don't have a backup or snapshot of your virtual machine, I am not sure what can be done here. I don't know much about how VMWare works.

What I can offer is the suggestion, if you do get it to reboot to a desktop session or end up creating a new one, to disable the "Offline Updates" option in System Settings, which reboots the system into a special, temporary sort of state just for installing updates, and then rebooting back into a normal session. This seems to not play well with virtual machines.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
mmwatson
Registered Member
Thanks. I'll give that a try.
valon
Registered Member
I had this exact same problem.

I have not used KDE Neon before and I wanted to try it so I decided to install KDE Neon as a guest in VirtualBox. I had no problem with installation, but after the Jan 3 update, I could not get past the GRUB selection menu (the screen titled "Select Operating System") during boot. I deleted and re-created the virtual machine several times, each time it would work after installation, but the same failure would occur after doing that Jan 3 update.

Each time it failed I was doing the updates using Discover. I thought that maybe Discover was doing something wrong so I opened up the terminal and tried to do an update using "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade". Upon doing this I was greeted with the following message:
Code: Select all
On KDE neon you should only used `pkcon update` to install updates.

I ran "sudo pkcon update" and then rebooted and it worked. No failure on the GRUB boot selection screen during boot. After logging back in I went back into Discover and checked for updates. Discover told me that my system was up to date.

Having not used KDE Neon before I was just assuming that Discover was the tool to use to do updates because that was what the notifications were telling me to do.
mmwatson
Registered Member
Disabling Offline Updates as suggested by claydoh also worked when I tried it.