This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Appimage Integration in KDE Neon 22.04

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jensbb
Registered Member
Hi all,
I recently reinstalled my system due to a broken & replaced SSD and thus went from a system which had been upgraded from 16.04 -> 18.04 -> 20.04 -> 22.04, to a freshly installed 22.04 based KDE Neon.

It was quickly reconfigured the way I wanted it and I had a full user data backup so all was good.
Except for one thing: appimage integration,

In my old system (also 22.04, but dist-upgraded as above) when I clicked on a .appimage file, the system would ask
- do I want to execute it or open it
- do I want to move it to the Applications folder and integrated it into the menu.

I do not get the second prompt on my new system. I don't know what is missing. I can execute appimages via double click but the integration never happens.

What is missing? Any ideas would be appreciated. I have "libappimage0" and -1.0 installed:
$ dpkg -l|grep appimage
ii libappimage0:amd64 0.1.10+dfsg-0ubuntu1
ii libappimage1.0:amd64 1.0.4-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build2

There once was a package called "appimagelauncher" but I can't find this in any repository any more and this only seemed to be required for very old Ubuntu releases. Is this correct?
jensbb
Registered Member
Solved by installing this:
https://github.com/TheAssassin/AppImage ... r/releases

But the question remains, why is this not the default?
Appimages are appearing everywhere, IMHO every distribution should support Appimage integration by default.
Mailaender
Registered Member
OS
KDE Neon is based on Ubuntu. Canonical is promoting their own Snap format. They seem to be not too motivated to integrate it well and avoid breakage.

There are also problems with AppImage such as running on an older API of libFUSE and their system integration was always an afterthought. I doubt it will improve.
moltke
Registered Member
For future reference:
1. Right-click on kickoff menu icon and select "edit applications".
2. In the window that pops up, select the category you'd like to add your appimage, click "ok" and next click on "new item", type in the name of the app in the dialog box that appears, i.e clipgrab.
3. In the right window, enter the app's properties; description and path.
4. Click on "icon", navigate or type the name of the app (hopefully there's one) and select an icon to be used by the app. If there's no icon available, you can run the appimage like
Code: Select all
./appimage_name.appimage --appimage-extract
this will create a folder called "squash-fsroot" with all the contents of the app, including an icon.
5. Click on "save".
That's it. That's how I do it for every appimage I use without installing anything.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
jensbb wrote:Solved by installing this:
https://github.com/TheAssassin/AppImage ... r/releases

But the question remains, why is this not the default?
Appimages are appearing everywhere, IMHO every distribution should support Appimage integration by default.

We kinda forget neon is not really a distro

However, appimagelauncher was provided by neon back in the Bionic 18.04 base, which is itself a little unusual, as they generally stick to packaging only KDE software.
Handy as it is, this definitely is not a KDE project :)

I have been using this for years, and sometimes find it does not always work reliably. Sometimes I install a 'continuous' build, since the last 'stable' release is over two years old now. I imagine this might be a reason why it was removed from neon?

I have asked if anyone remembers why it was removed, but so far no one does.

it is easy enough to add, if one wants it.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001