This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE Neon User, Testing and Unstable cannot build KDE sources

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jphands
Registered Member
OS
I've been trying to set myself up to learn to become a KDE contributor.
My machine is running a fully updated Neon User version of the OS.

Following the instructions on https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved/development/Install_the_dependencies and making sure I have a;ll the dependencies always leads to one error....

[ 93%] Building CXX object autotests/CMakeFiles/usermetadatawritertest.dir/usermetadatawritertest_autogen/mocs_compilation.cpp.o
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libappimage.so.1.0.3: undefined reference to `std::__cxx11::basic_stringbuf<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_M_high_mark() const'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
gmake[2]: *** [autotests/CMakeFiles/appimageextractortest.dir/build.make:138: bin/appimageextractortest] Error 1
gmake[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:1859: autotests/CMakeFiles/appimageextractortest.dir/all] Error 2
gmake[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
[ 93%] Linking CXX executable ../bin/xmlextractortest
[ 93%] Building CXX object autotests/CMakeFiles/usermetadatawritertest.dir/usermetadatawritertest.cpp.o
[ 93%] Linking CXX executable ../bin/pngextractortest
[ 94%] Building CXX object autotests/CMakeFiles/usermetadatawritertest.dir/__/src/usermetadata.cpp.o
[ 94%] Built target xmlextractortest
[ 94%] Built target pngextractortest
[ 94%] Linking CXX executable ../bin/usermetadatawritertest
[ 94%] Built target usermetadatawritertest
gmake: *** [Makefile:146: all] Error 2

This error suggests that some basic versions of GCC and core libraries are not up to date with the latest sources, as it's trying to link to a library function that doesn't exist yet - at least not in this distro version.
Wondering if it was perhaps just an issue with the User variant, I built Virtualbox VMs with the Testing and Unstable version of Neon. They all have the same problem as User. An experiment with SuSE Tumblweed, also in a VM, shows that it is fine, and the sources all build correctly.

I guess it's because the User version is based on Ubuntu 22.04, and that precedes the GCC and other libraries needed for the latest sources, and that's fine, but I sort of expected to be able to build KDE on KDE's own distro. However, the same issue occurring on the Testing and Development branches is less understandable.

Is it worth reporting this issue as a bug, or should i just switch to SuSE Tumbleweed as my standard distro?

Thanks for helping a newbie.

Paul
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
You might pop into kde-neon's channel on matrix and ask about it. They may not see this question in here.
https://webchat.kde.org/#/room/#kde-neon:kde.org

Weekends tend to be slow, mind you.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
jphands
Registered Member
OS
Thanks, @claydoh ... I'll try the matrix!
jphands
Registered Member
OS
Ah well....I tried the Matrix, but it just says "registrations are disabled on this home server", and I can't see anywhere else to sign up.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
Sorry, I forgot the other informational link as well
https://community.kde.org/Matrix#Regist ... Logging_in

Apologies!

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
jphands
Registered Member
OS
Thanks, again, Claydoh. I got into the Matrix, and left a message.....now i'll wait :-)
msdobrescu
Registered Member
OS
Hi, did you solve it?
msdobrescu
Registered Member
OS
Hi, I still have this problem. Is there a solution?