This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

HP laptop 11th gen keyboard / touchpad

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rehilliard
Registered Member
Just passing along this information.

This is a new HP Laptop 15-dy4xxx (forgot the specifics) with a i5-1155G7. The touchpad is an ELANTECH.

On all distributions, I had issues with no functioning keyboard after booting to the login screen. Fixed that by adding "i8042.nopnp" to GRUB startup cmdline. Some sort of HP shenanigans with keyboard/mouse detection IIRC.

On Neon, after logging in, the touchpad Tap-to-Click and Natural Scrolling wouldn't work, even after selecting in the libinput Settings screen. Ended up adding the following to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf:
MatchIsTouchpad "on"
Option "Tapping" "True"
Option "NaturalScrolling" "True"
That seemed to have fixed both issues. I didn't no run into this touchpad issue with any other distribution (pop-os, fedora, manjaro-kde, zorin, boontu) so I thought it prudent to at least pass this along in case someone is using one of these HP-loves-Windows laptops.

A common problem across all distributions is that a reboot will never work. No matter if launched via command line, GUI, or ctrl-prtsc-B. I get the GRUB menu, but afterwards it just hangs. Nothing that gives a clue in the logs. I don't doubt that it's some sort of nifty HP hardware/BIOS thing that is in support of Windows...which restarts just fine every time.