This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Depency hell 5.27

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jonnycache
Registered Member

Depency hell 5.27

Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:38 pm
Hi all together,

after the last updates, i run into an dependency hell. I tried to fix it with
Code: Select all
aptitude install
something (i dont know anymore). After that
pkcon update
worked, but wine is broken.
it began (i think with plasma 5.27).
If i want to install now wine32 it says:
sudo apt install wine32
Paketlisten werden gelesen… Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut… Fertig
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen… Fertig
Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 2
Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 2
Investigating (0) libjpeg-turbo8:amd64 < 1:2.1.5-2+22.04+jammy+release+build6 @ii K Ib >
Broken libjpeg-turbo8:amd64 Kollidiert mit on libjpeg8:i386 < none -> 8c-2ubuntu10 @un puN Ib >
  Considering libjpeg8:i386 7 as a solution to libjpeg-turbo8:amd64 11
Investigating (0) libjpeg8:i386 < none -> 8c-2ubuntu10 @un puN Ib >
Broken libjpeg8:i386 Hängt ab von on libjpeg-turbo8:i386 < none | 2.1.2-0ubuntu1 @un uH > (>= 1.1.90+svn722-1ubuntu6)
  Considering libjpeg-turbo8:i386 0 as a solution to libjpeg8:i386 7
Done
Einige Pakete konnten nicht installiert werden. Das kann bedeuten, dass
Sie eine unmögliche Situation angefordert haben oder, wenn Sie die
Unstable-Distribution verwenden, dass einige erforderliche Pakete noch
nicht erstellt wurden oder Incoming noch nicht verlassen haben.
Die folgenden Informationen helfen Ihnen vielleicht, die Situation zu lösen:

Die folgenden Pakete haben unerfüllte Abhängigkeiten:
 libjpeg-turbo8 : Kollidiert mit: libjpeg8:i386 aber 8c-2ubuntu10 soll installiert werden
 libjpeg8:i386 : Hängt ab von: libjpeg-turbo8:i386 (>= 1.1.90+svn722-1ubuntu6) soll aber nicht installiert werden
E: Fehler: Unterbrechungen durch pkgProblemResolver::Resolve hervorgerufen; dies könnte durch zurückgehaltene Pakete verursacht worden sein.

Anything i can do about it, or do i have to install the system totally new or do i have to look for another distribution?

LG
Jonny
mrbumpy409
Registered Member
OS

Re: Depency hell 5.27

Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:16 pm
All of us who wish to use Wine in KDE neon are in the same boat. KDE neon has updated certain libraries that Wine depends on, but only the 64-bit versions (libpoppler-glib8, libjpeg-turbo8, perhaps others). This creates a broken package setup since the 32-bit libraries can't be upgraded. Last I knew, the neon devs were not planning on building any 32-bit libraries, so this situation might be at an impasse. :(

I've been wracking my brain about how to proceed from here. I never thought I'd have to leave my beloved KDE neon, but I may have no choice, as my work depends heavily on wine.
jonnycache
Registered Member

Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:44 pm
ok that sounds weird and frustrating. I work now for a couple of years with neon, but i need some wine applications.
Does Manjaro do this job? Is it there possible to tun 32bit libraries and to update them, because the devs there build 32bit libraries?
Is there another KDE distribution that based on ubuntu and is up to date?
I think, i will migrate to another distribution...

Greetings
Hondo
mrbumpy409
Registered Member
OS

Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:20 pm
Yeah, I'm frustrated as well. I'll most likely end up going with Kubuntu or Ubuntu Studio, both based on KDE, with the excellent app support I know I'll get with an Ubuntu base. I know Kubuntu has a backports PPA that features more up-to-date KDE Plasma (it has 5.27.2 currently, for example), though I have no idea if it is also updating the same libraries as neon and leading to the same issues. I have some research to do. EndeavourOS (Arch) or Manjaro are also attractive options, but I don't know if I trust the system stability of a rolling distro, and I'm tired of system breakages. I have too much important work to do on my system to be dealing with these kinds of issues. I need my software to work and keep working. Something like Kubuntu might be "boring", but at this point I'd rather have "boring" than the excitement of yet another broken app.

To directly answer your question, though, Manjaro shouldn't have this issue with the 32-bit libraries since both apps and libraries are "rolling", i.e., kept more up-to-date.
jonnycache
Registered Member

Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:43 pm
Thx for the answer.
I solved the problem with
sudo aptitude install libjpeg8:i386

I took the second suggestion of aptitude to downgrade some packages and install libjpeg8:i386. After that i installed wine32 and everything worked again.
Maybe i am not up to date, but i can use some wine programms. I hope in the future i can install newer versions of the downgraded ones again. We´ll see.
Manjaro sounds nice for me, but i want to have an stable system. if you say, it is not save, then i will try it maybe first with an live system on a stick, where i can install permanently.
If i understand u right, Neon is not a rolling release, so that some libraries are not up to date and it belongs to decency issues right? Programs in Neon are updated but not all libraries specially the 386 ones not.
Greetings

Hondo
claydoh
Registered Member
OS

Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:03 pm
The problem is that neon has to build not only the 32 bit library, but all all the 32-bit sub-dependencies for it as well, which can go pretty deeply into the toolchain, and quickly becomes outside the scope of the neon project.

I do know someone has been trying to fix the libjpeg problems, but who know how long it might take. The external repos from WineHQ's recent Wine version 8 and its dependency changes is what seems to be conflicting with neon.

My suggestion might be to investigate wine implementations that are not tied to a distro at all.
Steam uses its own Proton implementation that is separate from the system installed one, and you can even swap between versions without touching anything at the system level.

Lutris does something quite similar to this with its 'runners'. it is focused on games, but can be used for applications.

Bottles is another project that also uses this sort of implementation.

I have used both, though not extensively or in recent months..

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
jonnycache
Registered Member

Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:47 am
But Lutris and Proton need a wine installation on the system to run applications. This includes wine32 (with libraries) too.
If u cant install it, you cant run programs right. In my case i play warcraft with lutris. after i installed the new libraries from neon and disabled win32 libraries, warcraft startet, but i cant play online anymore, so that is useless. I tried to start an specially dictionary with wine wich needs wine32, and it worked not anymore. So i had to decide use aptitude and disables updates, that i can use both wine32 and the applications from neon, but in older versions.
But that cant be the future. Many people need to use some wine applications and its no option not to let them use these. Or u want to push the people back again to M$...

Greetings

Hondo
claydoh
Registered Member
OS

Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:03 pm
jonnycache wrote:But Lutris and Proton need a wine installation on the system to run applications. This includes wine32 (with libraries) too.
If u cant install it, you cant run programs right. In my case i play warcraft with lutris. after i installed the new libraries from neon and disabled win32 libraries, warcraft startet, but i cant play online anymore, so that is useless. I tried to start an specially dictionary with wine wich needs wine32, and it worked not anymore. So i had to decide use aptitude and disables updates, that i can use both wine32 and the applications from neon, but in older versions.
But that cant be the future. Many people need to use some wine applications and its no option not to let them use these. Or u want to push the people back again to M$...

Greetings

Hondo

No, they do not. Though, yes, Warcraft specifically needs some parts. I have used both Lutris and Bottles with zero system-level Wine packages installed whatsoever. They download and use completely separate implementations not tied to the distro. Steam's proton does not use a system installed wine either. Core 32-bit libraries, yes.

I have been gaming with Steam and Lutris for years and years, and have not used a system-installed Wine in ages now. But obviously not Warcraft.

I suggest these as possible alternatives for people to investigate, since Ubuntu's wine is always old, and there will always be issues with ultra current WineHQ stuff and neon (or even normal Ubuntu in my experience), as it has pretty much always been.

But, as I have mentioned elsewhere, someone is working on the issue.

And at some point in the future, something else will break a 32 bit dependency in wine. But the only way they will know is when us users discover it, since neon only care about KDE stuff, by design.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
jonnycache
Registered Member

Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:00 am
Thx for the answer claydoh,

i want to stay with kde neon because it's the best distro for KDE affine people. I hope, that the problems with wine32 will be solved. Anyway i try to use kde neon further and hope, that the fortunewheel give me good choice to do that. But if not and i use my time only to solve unnecessary problems, i will look for another distro.

Greetings
Hondo
bugcoder
Registered Member

Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:10 am
As with mozilla firefox we have had to wait for its own version to improve the desktop experience, I think at least a minimum of support for wine should be studied, just keeping recent versions of the libraries that give problems.

Now my desktop is broken and some applications can't be updated.

~  sudo aptitude full-upgrade                                                                                                                                                                                                                            ✔
The following packages will be REMOVED: 
  libgd3{a} libjpeg-turbo8:i386{a} libjpeg8{a} liblcms2-2:i386{u} libnspr4:i386{u} libnss3:i386{u} libopenjp2-7:i386{u} libpoppler-glib8:i386{a} libpoppler118:i386{u}
The following packages will be upgraded:
  gwenview libgd3:i386 libjpeg-turbo8{b} libokular5core10 libpoppler-cpp0v5 libpoppler-glib8 libpoppler-qt5-1 libpoppler126 okular okular-backends okular-extra-backends poppler-utils
12 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 9 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 16,1 MB of archives. After unpacking 10,8 MB will be freed.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libjpeg-turbo8 : Conflicts: libjpeg8:i386 but 8c-2ubuntu10 is installed
 libjpeg8:i386 : Depends: libjpeg-turbo8:i386 (>= 1.1.90+svn722-1ubuntu6) but it is not going to be installed
 graphviz : Depends: libgd3 (>= 2.1.0~alpha~) but it is not going to be installed
 libgvc6 : Depends: libgd3 (>= 2.1.0~alpha~) but it is not going to be installed
 libgphoto2-6 : Depends: libgd3 (>= 2.1.0~alpha~) but it is not going to be installed
 libsane1:i386 : Depends: libpoppler-glib8:i386 (>= 0.18.0) but it is not going to be installed
The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Remove the following packages:                                                     
1)      libsane1:i386 [1.1.1-5 (jammy, now)]                                             
2)      wine-stable [8.0.0.0~jammy-1 (jammy, now)]                                       
3)      wine-stable-i386:i386 [8.0.0.0~jammy-1 (jammy, now)]                             
4)      wine-staging [8.3~jammy-1 (jammy, now)]                                         
5)      wine-staging-i386:i386 [8.3~jammy-1 (jammy, now)]                               
6)      winehq-stable [8.0.0.0~jammy-1 (jammy, now)]                                     

Keep the following packages at their current version:                             
7)      gwenview [4:22.12.2-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build13 (jammy, now)]             
8)      libgd3 [2.3.0-2ubuntu2 (jammy, now)]                                             
9)      libgd3:i386 [2.3.0-2ubuntu2 (jammy, now)]                                       
10)     libjpeg-turbo8 [2.1.2-0ubuntu1 (jammy, now)]                                     
11)     libjpeg-turbo8:i386 [2.1.2-0ubuntu1 (jammy, now)]                               
12)     libjpeg8 [8c-2ubuntu10 (jammy, now)]                                             
13)     libokular5core10 [4:22.12.2-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build19 (jammy, now)]     
14)     libpoppler-cpp0v5 [23.02.0-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build10 (jammy, now)]     
15)     libpoppler-glib8 [22.02.0-2ubuntu0.1 (jammy-security, jammy-updates, now)]       
16)     libpoppler-qt5-1 [23.02.0-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build10 (jammy, now)]       
17)     libpoppler126 [23.02.0-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build10 (jammy, now)]         
18)     okular [4:22.12.2-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build19 (jammy, now)]               
19)     okular-backends [4:22.12.2-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build19 (jammy, now)]     
20)     okular-extra-backends [4:22.12.2-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build19 (jammy, now)]
21)     poppler-utils [23.02.0-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build10 (jammy, now)]
mrbumpy409
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:15 am
bugcoder wrote:Now my desktop is broken and some applications can't be updated.

I was able to work through this same issue. See my post here.
jonnycache
Registered Member

Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:39 am
Hi bugcode,

what specially is broken. In your post i can see, that only wine packages are removed. That should not lead to an broken desktop. But the wine programs will not work anymore. I solved only the problem with one library that was needed for wine32 as i posted.
I can use my desktop, but i cant update all packages, because of the wrong dependencies and my desktop isnt broken.
This is annoying but for the first time everything is usable. In the further future, i will look for another distro, that dont make such trouble because of wine32, if its not solved.

Greetings Hondo
carlosdem
Registered Member

Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:19 am
i'm working on a solution. Hopefully the libjpeg-turbo mess will be resolved in the near future. However there are some architectural challenges to overcome for i386 packages as a whole.
jonnycache
Registered Member

Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:02 pm
Hi carlosdem,

that would be really nice!!! i dont want to leave kdeneon.

Best wishes

Hondo
daret
Registered Member

Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:04 am
I get similar problem with dependencies
- looks like okular-backends is not accepting newer libokular5core10

$ sudo pkcon update
Získavajú sa aktualizácie  [=========================]         
Hotovo                        [=========================]         
Testujú sa zmeny             [=========================]         
Hotovo                        [=========================]         
Kritická chyba: The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  libpoppler-qt5-1: Závisí na: libpoppler126 (= 23.03.0-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build11) but 23.02.0-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build10 is to be installed
  okular-backends: Závisí na: libokular5core10 (= 4:22.12.2-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build19) but 4:22.12.3-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build21 is to be installed
  libpoppler-cpp0v5: Závisí na: libpoppler126 (= 23.03.0-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build11) but 23.02.0-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build10 is to be installed
  poppler-utils: Závisí na: libpoppler126 (= 23.03.0-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build11) but 23.02.0-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build10 is to be installed
  libpoppler-glib8: Závisí na: libpoppler126 (= 23.03.0-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build11) but 23.02.0-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build10 is to be installed