This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Base packages lost after latest update (testing edition)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kaeso
Registered Member
Hi! After system update removed dolphin, kate, network manager, konsole, ark and other preinstalled KDE applications in NEON. Looking for terminal command to install all packages.

Last edited by kaeso on Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
carlosdem
Registered Member
What does sudo apt install neon-desktop do?
kaeso
Registered Member
carlosdem wrote:What does sudo apt install neon-desktop do?

Nothing...

Code: Select all
root@NEO:/home/kaeso# apt install neon-desktop
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
neon-desktop is already the newest version (4+p22.04+tstable+git20230119.1929).
Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
root@NEO:/home/kaeso#
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
As this is Testing, they may be transitioning to Qt6, maybe?
You are running pre-release code, after all.

What happens when you try to install a single application, such as Dolphin from the command line?

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
kaeso
Registered Member
claydoh wrote:What happens when you try to install a single application, such as Dolphin from the command line?

Dolphin successfully installed, without any errors.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
You might try (re-) installing a different meta-package that depends on all the desktop packages. neon-desktop should already pull that stuff in, but iirc it does so by depending on other meta-packages like plasma-desktop. Try installing this, if it is missing on your system.

On a Testing install, it may be worth checking and investigating any proposed removals with every update.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
moltke
Registered Member
kaeso wrote:Hi! After system update removed dolphin, kate, network manager, konsole, ark and other preinstalled KDE applications in NEON. Looking for terminal command to install all packages.

I had this a few days ago (Neon Testing) and even reported a bug https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=467038 the update removed kde-baseapps due to some unmet dependencies with «libjpeg-turbo8» someone there at bugs.kde.org told me "Updated packages are coming through the build system. Unfortunately you tried to upgrade while the packages that depend on libjpeg-turbo were rebuilding to satisfy the new dependencies." This was March 08, but this happened on Monday, and still see the «libjpeg-turbo8» problematic version there. I reinstalled Neon, and haven't updated yet, so yeah, I have a bunch of updates waiting to be installed there. I'll wait a little longer to see if it gets finally fixed.

kaeso wrote:
claydoh wrote:What happens when you try to install a single application, such as Dolphin from the command line?

Dolphin successfully installed, without any errors.

Really? Hmm ... I might try updating and see what happens, already "timeshifted" the system, so ... if anything goes south, I'll just "timeshift" my way back lol