This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Update wants to remove and downgrade pkgs

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
moltke
Registered Member
Hi, everyone! Hope you're all having a nice life! ;D

After running pkcon I got this:
Code: Select all
Getting updates               [=========================]         
Finished                      [=========================]         
Testing changes               [=========================]         
Finished                      [                         ] (0%) 
The following packages have to be removed:
 hplip-3.21.12+dfsg0-1.amd64    HP Linux Printing and Imaging System (HPLIP)
 libraqm0-0.10.0-0xneon+22.04+jammy+stable+build14.amd64        Library for complex text layout
 python3-pil-9.0.1-1ubuntu0.1.amd64     Python Imaging Library (Python3)
 python3-reportlab-3.6.8-1.all  ReportLab library to create PDF documents using Python3
The following packages have to be downgraded:
 gir1.2-harfbuzz-0.0-2.7.4-1ubuntu3.1.amd64     OpenType text shaping engine (GObject introspection data)
 libharfbuzz0b-2.7.4-1ubuntu3.1.amd64   OpenType text shaping engine (shared library)

I cancelled cause last time something was downgraded (libjpeg-turbo8) it removed kde-baseapps, without a warning, at least it's warning me now, so I can decide before continue, however, I'm hesitant whether to go ahead and update, should I? What will exactly happen? Which pkgs might be affected?
Thanks for your replies.
mrbumpy409
Registered Member
OS
The harfbuzz package downgrade is fine, but the neon devs forgot that libraqm0 needs to be downgraded as well. You can do this manually from the terminal, and then it won't try to remove packages. The following command will downgrade the harfbuzz packages and libraqm0 in one go:
sudo apt install gir1.2-harfbuzz-0.0=2.7.4-1ubuntu3.1 libharfbuzz0b=2.7.4-1ubuntu3.1 libraqm0=0.8.0-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build11

I wrote a bit more about this issue in my post here.
moltke
Registered Member
mrbumpy409 wrote:The harfbuzz package downgrade is fine, but the neon devs forgot that libraqm0 needs to be downgraded as well. You can do this manually from the terminal, and then it won't try to remove packages. The following command will downgrade the harfbuzz packages and libraqm0 in one go:
sudo apt install gir1.2-harfbuzz-0.0=2.7.4-1ubuntu3.1 libharfbuzz0b=2.7.4-1ubuntu3.1 libraqm0=0.8.0-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build11

I wrote a bit more about this issue in my post here.

And I do this before or after updating? Thanks for your reply.
moltke
Registered Member
That didn't work:
[sudo] password for moltke:
Reading package list... Done
Creating dependency tree... Done
Reading status information... Done
The libraqm0 package is not available, but is referenced by some other package
him. This may mean that the package is missing, outdated, or just
is available from some other source

E: No version "0.8.0-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build11" found for "libraqm0"
mrbumpy409
Registered Member
OS
Okay, I have no idea why that would be. i was able to install that very version just the other day. Perhaps try this instead?
sudo apt install gir1.2-harfbuzz-0.0=2.7.4-1ubuntu3.1 libharfbuzz0b=2.7.4-1ubuntu3.1 libraqm0=0.7.0-4ubuntu1

This will downgrade the libraqm0 version to the Ubuntu repository version, which also seems to be fine.
moltke
Registered Member
mrbumpy409 wrote:Okay, I have no idea why that would be. i was able to install that very version just the other day. Perhaps try this instead?
sudo apt install gir1.2-harfbuzz-0.0=2.7.4-1ubuntu3.1 libharfbuzz0b=2.7.4-1ubuntu3.1 libraqm0=0.7.0-4ubuntu1

This will downgrade the libraqm0 version to the Ubuntu repository version, which also seems to be fine.

This one worked! Thanks! ;D
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
mrbumpy409 wrote:Okay, I have no idea why that would be. i was able to install that very version just the other day. Perhaps try this instead?

You may want to pin libraqm0 related packages so that they aren't set to be upgraded.
This will be added in the next update to neon-settings-2, hopefully arriving very soon.

Edit /etc/apt/preferences.d/99-jammy-overrides and add:

Package: libraqm0
Pin: release o=Ubuntu
Pin-Priority: 1100

Package: libraqm-dev

Last edited by claydoh on Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
moltke
Registered Member
claydoh wrote:

You may want to pin libraqm0 related packages so that they aren't set to be upgraded.
This will be added in the next update to neon-settings-2, hopefully arriving very soon.

Edit /etc/apt/preferences.d and add:

/etc/apt/preferences.d is a directory, and these files can be found there:

50-neon-ubuntu-release-upgrader  99-jammy-overrides  99-neon-base-files  org-kde-neon-net-launchpad-ppa-mozillateam-pin

Which one of those are you suggesting to edit?
mrbumpy409
Registered Member
OS
Since apt doesn't even try to upgrade libraqm0 due to the conflicts it would create, I'm just rolling without a pin until the neon-settings-2 update comes out. If you want to enact a pin, however, I believe claydoh had meant to specify /etc/apt/preferences.d/99-jammy-overrides as the file in which to add that pin.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
moltke wrote:
Which one of those are you suggesting to edit?

Sorry, incomplete paste.

Post is edited to reflect the file name.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
moltke
Registered Member
I tried to edit the file /etc/apt/preferences.d/99-jammy-overrides, but I saw this:

# the following packages are pinned to fix the harfbuzz backport debacle (it could not be compiled on i386)

Package: libharfbuzz0b

Package: libharfbuzz-doc

Package: libharfbuzz-gobject0

Package: libharfbuzz0b

Package: gir1.2-harfbuzz-0.0

Package: libharfbuzz-icu0

Package: libharfbuzz-dev

Package: libharfbuzz-bin

Package: libharfbuzz-subset0

So I guess I don't need to, right?
mrbumpy409
Registered Member
OS
Yeah, you already have the pin, so no need to add it again. I presume you are not on User Edition of KDE neon?
moltke
Registered Member
mrbumpy409 wrote:Yeah, you already have the pin, so no need to add it again. I presume you are not on User Edition of KDE neon?

No, I'm on Testing edition. Sorry, I should've mentioned it earlier.
boospy007
Registered Member
OS
It's now fixed with the Updates :) :)
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
moltke wrote:
mrbumpy409 wrote:Yeah, you already have the pin, so no need to add it again. I presume you are not on User Edition of KDE neon?

No, I'm on Testing edition. Sorry, I should've mentioned it earlier.

Since you are on Testing, you should be experiencing the problems first, and finding the fixes for us xD 8)