This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Unusual partition order

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
fab161
Registered Member

Unusual partition order

Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:07 pm
Hello everybody,

today I installed KDE Neon -- and I couldn't be happier. First of all: Thank you for this amazing distribution. :D

However, there is one thing I wonder about: During the installation process I've chosen the option of manually partitioning because the installer suggested a swap partition >15 GiB. At first I created the EFI parition, then the root one and last but not least the swap partition with a more reasonable size of 2 GiB. ;)

As far as I can tell, the installation went fine. But when I checked the partitions in the installed system, I've noticed that the root partition occupied sda1, although I've created the efi partition first. To be fair, I've checked the partitions once again in Calamares before continuing via the "Change" button at the partitioning step to check whether I've set the right flags for the partitions. But this button did not say "Shuffle". ;D

lsblk:
Code: Select all
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
sda      8:0    0 238,5G  0 disk
├─sda1   8:1    0   236G  0 part /
├─sda2   8:2    0   512M  0 part /boot/efi
└─sda3   8:3    0     2G  0 part [SWAP]

Do you have any idea why this could have happened? As far as I am aware, this should be a valid partitioning scheme, right?

Best regards,
Fabian :)

Additional information:
Code: Select all
Operating System: KDE neon 5.27
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.104.0
Qt Version: 5.15.8
Kernel Version: 5.19.0-35-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz
Memory: 15.5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 520
Manufacturer: HP
Product Name: HP EliteBook 820 G3
dumetrulo
Registered Member

Re: Unusual partition order

Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:31 pm
If the system boots correctly, the partitioning is fine. The UEFI standard does not specify that the EFI partition needs to be the first one on the disk. I understand, however, being slightly OCD about it, and wanting the EFI partition at the beginning, because I also like my partitions just so in a particular way.