This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE neon: problems in Virtualbox VM

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
patriceg
Registered Member
OS

KDE neon: problems in Virtualbox VM

Tue May 02, 2023 1:29 pm
Hello,

Sure, I have a KDE neon in a double boot too. But here, in a Virtualbox VM, I have several problem in it.

When I try to display the grub menu (with ESCape key) the menu is not in control. I can not select a entry.

I precise that the KDE neon VM is just installed, and updated, and the add-ons are installed too.

With Kubuntu, I have not such problems. The Kubuntu VM works well and all options are ok.

With KDE neon, I have reinstall 5 times the VM because I can not reach the grub console or start with an another kernel.

PS : the host is a Windows 11 with 64 Go RAM.

Last edited by patriceg on Tue May 02, 2023 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patriceg
Registered Member
OS
Ok, 6 th time I lost my KDE neon VM.

:<

I can not launch it again, and can not restart in recovery mode.
patriceg
Registered Member
OS
In have done a fresh install again. I have not update the vm, not installed the add-on, and when I try to select an entry in grub, it gives a critical error.

KDE neon does'nt work in a Virtualbox VM (latest).
mrbumpy409
Registered Member
OS
Hmm. I have no issues running KDE neon in a VM in VirtualBox 7.0.8, Linux host. The main VM settings I've set are:

• General
    • Basic
      • Version: Ubuntu (64-bit)
  • System
    • Motherboard
      • Pointing Device: PS/2 Mouse
      • Enable EFI (special OSes only): Yes

Besides that, I've set CPU cores to 6, enabled USB 3.0 and bidirectional clipboard, but I can't imagine those settings should have any effect on the OS being able to boot. 🤷‍
patriceg
Registered Member
OS
With EFI, no boot.

With the other options you suggest: I still can not select an another kernel.

So KDE neon does'nt work on my installation, but there is no problem with Kubuntu as a guest.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
patriceg wrote:With EFI, no boot.

You would need to have installed the OS in this mode, instead of using legacy BIOS mode.
I *think* Virtualbox uses Leghacy/BIOS by default, and if so, the keyboard shortcut for showing Grub would be <shift>, <esc> is used in EFI installs,

Can I ask why you need to access the grub menu in a virtual machine? Switching kernels I think is not much use in a virtualized situation.

For what it is worth, I have no problem accessing the grub menu, though I am not using Virtualbox - I use Virt-manager on my KDE neon system and use EFI to boot the VM.
I do have to use <esc> but have zero issues navigating the menus and selecting recovery mode.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
patriceg
Registered Member
OS
Hello. So I'm testing if I can select another kernel or have the recovery mode because I crashed a Virtualbox VM when upgrading via pkcon (in a KDE neon as a guest).

So I will try again an installation, taking into account your suggestions.

I really hope to have a KDE neon in VM, as I don't want to cut myself off from the advances of the system although I am forced to use Windows 11 for work purposes.

Thanks in any case for the help.

Nice evening to you.
patriceg
Registered Member
OS
@claydoh : well I have installed KDE neon again, with EFI this time.

But if I reboot, when I hit ESC, it a menu like old bios that appear. Nothing about grub.

So when I have reboot and press SHIFT, I had to select and entry in grub.

This time, it works.

But I have made the upgrade, and now the grub menu is not displayed.

I will search how to display the grub menu all the time.

Thanks for your solution, and have a nice day.
patriceg
Registered Member
OS
All works well.

Thanks again to all.
mrbumpy409
Registered Member
OS
patriceg wrote:All works well.

Thanks again to all.

Glad to hear it, patriceg! 🎉