This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Starry dusk on Matterhorn wallpapers

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Riusma
Registered Member
OS
Hi!

Submitting Starry dusk on Matterhorn wallpaper (CC by-sa) with a "purple" and a "green" versions:

* Link to 5120x2880px version (3.5 Mo)

* Link to 5120x2880px version (3.6 Mo)

* Source file for both version (.svg)

The wallpaper is inspired by a photography of the Matterhorn by Sven Scheuermeier that I currently use as a wallpaper! :)

As it's more or less my first contribution to a FOSS project (some translations to french for Ubuntu Touch project), I think it's a good occasion to thank the KDE team & community for its incredible work, and more specifically Michael Tunnell (one of his This Week in Linux video about setting Plasma to mimic Unity DE made me switch from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS to Kubuntu 18.04 LTS) and Nate Graham (Adventures in Linux and KDE made me follow Plasma development and try to contribute a bit)! :)

It seems that I'm not the only one loving mountains, dusk and stars! ;D
ngraham
Registered Member
OS
You're very welcome! These are really really nice.
Riusma
Registered Member
OS
A more "subtle" version of the wallpaper for those who might prefer something more "light" as a desktop background... :)

* Link to 5120x2880px version (3.3 Mo)

* Link to 5120x2880px version (3.4 Mo)

NB: Inkscape svg file linked in the first post has been updated (the "subtle" version is on another layer). :)
flipwise
Registered Member
OS
Pretty cool! One thing I'd still tinker with are the drop shadows, they look a bit off to me but I can't quite tell why. Also make sure to note which would be your final entries as right now there are 4 which is 1 over the limit.
Riusma
Registered Member
OS
flipwise wrote:Pretty cool! One thing I'd still tinker with are the drop shadows, they look a bit off to me but I can't quite tell why. Also make sure to note which would be your final entries as right now there are 4 which is 1 over the limit.

Thank you! :)

Well, consider that the final entries are the first ones (first post), I will try to post a third entry before the deadline ! :)
ngraham
Registered Member
OS
Yes please do! Speed is appreciated. :)
ngraham
Registered Member
OS
Oh and one more thing, would you consider a less literal name? For example, just "Matterhorn" maybe.
Riusma
Registered Member
OS
ngraham wrote:Yes please do! Speed is appreciated. :)

I'm trying to post a last one but apparently the forum is "unable to determine the dimensions of the image"... I will find a solution! :P

ngraham wrote:Oh and one more thing, would you consider a less literal name? For example, just "Matterhorn" maybe.

Go for "Matterhorn", I'm bad at giving names! ;D
ngraham
Registered Member
OS
Even just a link would be fine.
Riusma
Registered Member
OS
ngraham wrote:
Riusma wrote:Sorry, my poor English has probably lead to some misunderstanding! No, for Matterhorn I will stay on the first versions (the purple and green ones of the first post)! :)

Well, I think they could all benefit from another round (or more) of improvement but I will not have the time for that before the deadline... :-\

Just tweaking the drop shadows to be less obvious would make a difference, I think.

So, with more subtle drop shadows! ;D

First the two (purple and green) for the wallpaper competition:

* Link to 5120x2880px version (3.4 Mo) (purple)
* Link to 5120x2880px version (3.5 Mo) (green)

Then the versions (purple and green) with less contrast (if someone wants to use them as a wallpaper or whatever):

* Link to 5120x2880px version (3.3 Mo) (purple)
* Link to 5120x2880px version (3.3 Mo) (green)
ngraham
Registered Member
OS
Thank you so much! It's appreciated.
ngraham
Registered Member
OS
The panel of judges has decided to do a quick second round with our favorites, and I have congratulations to offer: Matterhorn (the purple version) has been chosen as a finalist! In the next 2 days, we would like to help you polish up your wallpaper, and to that effect we have some detailed feedback:

- Improve the stars to make them less attention-getting, more like how they are in the turquoise version
- Adjust location of circles so they're not under the clock when it's on the lock screen
Riusma
Registered Member
OS
ngraham wrote:The panel of judges has decided to do a quick second round with our favorites, and I have congratulations to offer: Matterhorn (the purple version) has been chosen as a finalist! In the next 2 days, we would like to help you polish up your wallpaper, and to that effect we have some detailed feedback:

- Improve the stars to make them less attention-getting, more like how they are in the turquoise version
- Adjust location of circles so they're not under the clock when it's on the lock screen

Wow! Thx a lot! :<

Below a new version where the "moons" have been moved more on the left side of the wallpaper (with more transparency for the main "circle") and with more transparency for the stars! Let me know if more adjustments are needed! :)

Link to 5120x2880px version (3.4 Mo) (purple)
ngraham
Registered Member
OS
Lovely!
dps
Registered Member
OS
Nice!!