This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kauil

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lilianar
Registered Member

Kauil

Thu May 23, 2019 4:25 am
Hi,
here's my wallpaper submission #1

Lisence: CC BY-SA
https://i.ibb.co/HtCkzDD/Kauil-by-lina.png

To create this wallpaper, I followed two guides: first to know what is a wallpaper?
How are the wallpapers? And how are the official ones? And second KDE's Desing vision: "Simple by Default, Powerful when needed" and the previous topics.

A wallpaper is a background image of the desk, a workspace. All comfortable workspace should be

-Inspiring
-Dynamic
-Practical (that don't distract)
-Clean: (where things can be on top peaceful, like icons)

Additionally, the official wallpaper must represent the brand, fortunately KDE has a well-specified design line that gives us the guidelines to make a representative wallpaper. The Breeze color palette and the Plasma vision "Simple by Default, Powerful when needed" As well as the latest wallpapers created by Ken Vermette; in which succession from Plasma 5.9 to Plasma 5.14, we can notice an inclination of the predominant color tone that goes from green to blue and lately towards reds.

From the previous Plasma experiences, it was Canopée, Cascade and Bizmuth the three I took as an example, paying special attention to the dynamism, depth of field, planes and layers plus the feeling of fluency and flow, in addition to the glow and the way he uses yellow.

I recreate the geometric structure of Ken Vermette, through the triangular grid to evoke the construction of a whole, parting from each of its parts, just as happens in the KDE software.

The composition consists of two fundamental figures; a central shape in which the bitonal contraposition fades to the background, guiding the gaze towards the nebula's limits, in the same way as Plasma presents by default an easy work flow for all types of users. And the second figure, four hexagons that complement the visual space just like the hidden functions and tools in the Plasma configuration panels do for the KDE desktop.

hope you like it
any feedback is welcome : )

Last edited by lilianar on Mon May 27, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flipwise
Registered Member
OS

Re: Kauil

Sat May 25, 2019 11:06 pm
Pretty intriguing, I like that you incorporated more colors than just the red-orange ones. Can you also provide a description for what the design represents? :)
distrobro
Registered Member

Sun May 26, 2019 4:06 pm
Very nice work.
GB_2
Registered Member

Wed May 29, 2019 7:45 pm
Can you please make a version without the hexagons on the bottom left and maybe make the yellow in the middle a little bit less bright?
ngraham
Registered Member
OS

Thu May 30, 2019 1:40 pm
The panel of judges has decided to do a quick second round with our favorites, and I have congratulations to offer: Kauil has been chosen as a finalist! In the next 2 days, we would like to help you polish up your wallpaper, and to that effect we have some detailed feedback:

- Remove the hexagons
- Reduce the intensity of the yellow band in the middle
- Somehow make it a bit less busy and overwhelming overall
ngraham
Registered Member
OS

Fri May 31, 2019 2:48 pm
Ping! Also two more things:
- Which version of CC-BY-SA?
- We will need your real name and email address for attribution purposes
lilianar
Registered Member

Fri May 31, 2019 4:31 pm
ngraham wrote:Ping! Also two more things:
- Which version of CC-BY-SA?
- We will need your real name and email address for attribution purposes

CC-BY-SA 4.0 international
Liliana Rodríguez Alcántar
ilustrelina [at] gmail [dot] com

edit: messed up with the image, fixin it soon.
lilianar
Registered Member