This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Milky way

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
metalbender
Registered Member

Milky way

Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:44 pm
Desktop

Mobile
ngraham
Registered Member
OS

Re: Milky way

Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:08 pm
Very bold and unique! I like it.
Kver
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:33 am
I must say that is my favourite, and would be my personal selection from the wallpapers thus far.

Perhaps what I like most is that it's not trying to clone my own previous efforts, you've created a style of your own. It keeps the theme, but lays the trackwork for more evolution, and ultimately feels incredibly fresh because of it. You've also managed to keep both the left and right sides clean for icons, while also having a column of interesting visuals, not being overwhelming either.

I also need to stress the job you've done with gradients, glows, and subtle shading tricks. It's really hard to pull off "soft, but not fuzzy." Your central column also does very well in creating the feeling of depth.

I also can't understate the value of wallpaper from a disassembly point of view. Promo materials, posters, etc will be posted and printed throughout the lifetime of this LTS release. Various designers will be able to neatly lift parts of this wallpaper (such as the column of lines & shapes) and plop them directly into materials as needed. I think, too, that the shapes could be a very strong and very branding-friendly idea going forward. I might reccomend you make a version of this wallpaper with a light background, if not for screen use, then for the other designers who will apply your work to printed materials. It's something I always though to do, but never got around to.

Using GIMP you can get rid of banding from Inkscape using "selective gaussian blur". You crank down the delta to nothing to next-to-nothing, and set the blur to roughly the distance between two gradient bands. The end result is that you keep your lines, but the bands are blurred. You can do this on a separate layer in case it wipes out detail anywhere, such as making the shapes fuzzy, and simply erase parts of the filtered layer this may happen... but in general I find it's very friendly to this style of vector graphics.

I would be very happy to see this as the next wallpaper. Excellent work.

Reformed lurker.
metalbender
Registered Member

Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:51 am
ngraham wrote:Very bold and unique! I like it.

Thank you :)
metalbender
Registered Member

Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:55 am
Kver wrote:I must say that is my favourite, and would be my personal selection from the wallpapers thus far.

Perhaps what I like most is that it's not trying to clone my own previous efforts, you've created a style of your own. It keeps the theme, but lays the trackwork for more evolution, and ultimately feels incredibly fresh because of it. You've also managed to keep both the left and right sides clean for icons, while also having a column of interesting visuals, not being overwhelming either.

I also need to stress the job you've done with gradients, glows, and subtle shading tricks. It's really hard to pull off "soft, but not fuzzy." Your central column also does very well in creating the feeling of depth.

I also can't understate the value of wallpaper from a disassembly point of view. Promo materials, posters, etc will be posted and printed throughout the lifetime of this LTS release. Various designers will be able to neatly lift parts of this wallpaper (such as the column of lines & shapes) and plop them directly into materials as needed. I think, too, that the shapes could be a very strong and very branding-friendly idea going forward. I might reccomend you make a version of this wallpaper with a light background, if not for screen use, then for the other designers who will apply your work to printed materials. It's something I always though to do, but never got around to.

Using GIMP you can get rid of banding from Inkscape using "selective gaussian blur". You crank down the delta to nothing to next-to-nothing, and set the blur to roughly the distance between two gradient bands. The end result is that you keep your lines, but the bands are blurred. You can do this on a separate layer in case it wipes out detail anywhere, such as making the shapes fuzzy, and simply erase parts of the filtered layer this may happen... but in general I find it's very friendly to this style of vector graphics.

I would be very happy to see this as the next wallpaper. Excellent work.

Thanks a lot :)
I do have a light version using blue. I will work on that and upload here.
I will work on your suggestions too. Thank you so much.
black ???
Registered Member

Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:31 pm
Splendid!
Star of the end
Registered Member

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:41 am
This is my favorite so far!!
KoMa111
Registered Member

Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:06 pm
It is one of if not the best submission so far. I could see this as the wallpaper of 5.18, a new style for the new decade.
Good job with the gradients, lines and shapes!
However, isn’t it too Ubuntu-ish?
msdobrescu
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:56 pm
I want it now!
niccolove
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:03 pm
Congratulations! This wallpaper were selected as a finalist!
acheronuk
KDE Developer

Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:49 pm
Kver wrote:I would be very happy to see this as the next wallpaper. Excellent work.

Thoroughly agree. I would love to see this as the 5.18 wallpaper throughout the Kubuntu 20.04 LTS lifetime.
ngraham
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:26 pm
acheronuk wrote:
Kver wrote:I would be very happy to see this as the next wallpaper. Excellent work.

Thoroughly agree. I would love to see this as the 5.18 wallpaper throughout the Kubuntu 20.04 LTS lifetime.

I would be very happy if this won. Even if it doesn't, you could always ship it for Kubuntu anyway. :) The colors are quite Ubuntu-like.
acheronuk
KDE Developer

Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:29 pm
ngraham wrote:I would be very happy if this won. Even if it doesn't, you could always ship it for Kubuntu anyway. :) The colors are quite Ubuntu-like.

That had crossed my mind...... ;)
niccolove
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:05 pm
Some feedback from judges:
I really don't know about this one. Props for something un-Plasma-like but that's also its downfall for me - it doesn't really fit with Plasma's wallpaper styling - it'd just be an odd-one-out in the default wallpapers used over the course of Plasma 5. If anything, I guess make it more blue, also experiment with a version of it where random shapes aren't used...?
This wallpaper feels a bit too dark and simple to me. The use of the central shapes does not feel really elaborate. The purple color make it feel more like an Ubuntu default wallpaper. Overall, it misses the KDE Style feel, but it's a bit too abstract and basic to offer me a good reason to switch style. It is a good wallpaper by itself, but I'm not totally convinced that it fits as a Plasma default yet.
acheronuk
KDE Developer

Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:28 pm
There are certainly enough nods to previous plasma wallpapers there, and I strongly disagree that it 'doesn't fit in'.

This part of Ken's post really says it all.
Perhaps what I like most is that it's not trying to clone my own previous efforts, you've created a style of your own. It keeps the theme, but lays the trackwork for more evolution, and ultimately feels incredibly fresh because of it.

What we don't really want to do is trot out inferior clones of what we think Ken might have produced, because we are sad he can't do them for us any more. Being a bit different is a positive thing. :)

I don't recall anyone complaining that cluster was not 'blue enough'. Dark and simple are not bad things if the wallpaper is good, which it is.