This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Iridescent Shell

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Luwx
Registered Member

Iridescent Shell

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:17 pm
4K: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T0Ya9 ... Lp8TbpI1Rw

Made with Blender
License: CC BY-SA 4.0
mahmood elsyah
Registered Member

Re: Iridescent Shell

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:44 am
Amazing 3d effect
niccolove
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:04 pm
Congratulations! This wallpaper were selected as a finalist!
Luwx
Registered Member

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:23 am
Thanks for the opportunity guys!

I wasn't so happy with the current look of the wallpaper, so I made some modifications to the angle and colors:

Let me know what you think!
ngraham
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:29 pm
Hmm that new version looks pretty grainy. Maybe raise the samples for the global illumination (or however you're doing it).
niccolove
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:06 pm
Some feedback from the judges:
My absolute favourite aside Vera. It's both un-Plasma-like and Plasma-like at the same time. It feels like the natural evolution for Plasma wallpaper styling. I really like how this wallpaper turned out, and I REALLY can't think of anything that can be improved on this one. You did an outstanding job with this wallpaper IMHO.
Similiarly to the Milky Way, this wallpapers also lack a bit of the previous Plasma style elements and I would probably see it better for a non-default wallpaper right now; that said, there are some thing that could be tweaked to make it fit more. The pattern on the spirals could be changed to a precise geometric shape, such as triangles and the perspective could be made a bit more clear (e.g.: It's not immediately clear to me which spirals are closer, and which one are more far away). On the strong points, there's a wise use of colors and noise. This is a good wallpaper.
appadeia
KDE Developer

Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:04 pm
Hi, one of the judges here.

The whole wallpaper feels like I'm looking at a mirror that somebody's shining a bright flashlight on—I would definitely tone down the highlights. It has a bit of a foil-made-out-of-a-fantasy-metal feel, which I find visually interesting and unique.
Luwx
Registered Member

Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:10 am
I changed to a regular geometry, increased the number of samples and reduced the brightness on the left side a bit. I tried to find another perspective for the compositing but it ended up too busy or too 3d-ish, so the perspective stayed the same. Result:
5K full render: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oC_HD ... ZFtoo3V1R_

As an experiment, I also made the geometry smooth, and while it doesn't fit plasma style, I find it quite nice and clean:
5K render: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GujaM ... 1MbWxDNBc2
niccolove
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:47 pm
Hi!
Can I ask you to email your shipping informations to niccolo@venerandi.com, so that we can send you the package prize (baseball cap, Tux pluff, etc..)?
niccolove
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:12 am
Hi! I'm afraid I did not receive any email, or I accidentally removed it. Can I ask you to send it again?