This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma 2020

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
fentras
Registered Member
OS

Plasma 2020

Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:01 pm
Hello! I hope you'll like my submission I've made for this competition. I hope I'm not too late.
Made by me with help from KDE Promotion and Communication team.

Project Files

Watch

Youtube Link
Invidious Link
PeerTube on LinuxRocks.online

Software

• Kdenlive
  • Blender
  • Audacity
  • OBS Studio

Resources

Notes

Open Kdenlive project using Archived Project option.

License

Licensed under Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
fentras
Registered Member
OS

Re: Plasma 2020

Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:42 pm
This was honestly fun to work with. I learned basics of Blender long time ago and could finally apply the knowledge here. And I even learned something new, including animations in Blender, effects and compositions in Kdenlive and even which format should I use for importing and exporting (rendered file is lossless but I could've probably used something less huge).

The hardest part was probably captions, because Plasma is pretty advanced — you can't talk about all the features in 2 minute video! But I somehow managed to fit basic and not-so parts into the video. I was also thinking about not using screencasts but it would take ages for me to make vectorized screenshots and even animate them. And Kdenlive doesn't support vector graphics yet (it basically converts them to an image, or maybe I just don't know how to use it). I tried to make these screencasts less generic (I think desk clock widget is very overused…) and I think it looks nice to showcase an application with fixed window and no panel. Thanks to Window Rules and magic of Regex! I've also wanted to include other applications like Dragon Player or Falkon but the video already had 4 applications and adding another 4 would make it boring (the Dragon Player is simple yet nice and plays everything I need). The last part should've included desktops with huge variety of themes and setups but I basically didn't have enough time to implement this :(

The rendering part was strange — Blender was rendering the first clip for 5 hours and Kdenlive rendered 1.6 GiB video in 10 minutes. But that's understandable. Rendering shadows and ambient occlusion in 60 fps while moving the camera — pretty expensive process!

In general — I really like how 3D part fits here with the music. I could've done better though, but I have lots of stuff to learn to make everything even more pretty.

I really liked doing this video (even if my headache is going to destroy me after this 3 day rush) and I wish everyone good luck!
niccolove
Registered Member
OS

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:35 pm
Congratulations on your result! Can you email me your shipping information at niccolo@venerandi.com?
fentras
Registered Member
OS

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:17 pm
niccolove wrote:Congratulations on your result! Can you email me your shipping information at niccolo@venerandi.com?

Done. Thank you!
kubees
Registered Member

Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:20 am
Congrats!! <3