This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Audio competition entry by typeyourtexthere

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
typeyourtexthere
Registered Member
Hi! It's nice to meet you all!

Although this submission already contains all the required sounds, it is still possible that I add or modify something before the end of the competition.
Audio (.wav) and project (.mmpz) files are on my Google Drive.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1iT8gH6nMhmqkDbZZM0yUNJiTRpJAvWGK?usp=sharing

All the melodies are made by me.
The audio samples used in this collection are self-made. Some editing was performed in Audacity.
MIDI soundfont used in alarm-4 is FluidR3_GM.

The VST plugins I used:
LABS virtual instruments pack (https://labs.spitfireaudio.com/)
Podolski synthesizer by u-he (https://u-he.com/products/podolski/)
VSUpright Piano synthesizer (https://vis.versilstudios.com/upright-1.html)

If I add anything else to this collection, I will notify if there is a sound sample made by third parties or a specific plugin required to open the project file in LMMS.
All the audio is released under CC0. I do not need any credits if someone wants to use these sounds.
Since I do not have any experience in sound design, any criticism or advice is highly appreciated.
Thanks.
ndavis
Registered Member
OS
Could you provide stems for the LABS, Podolski and VSUpright Piano plugins? They're not FOSS and the LABS plugin doesn't appear to have a Linux compatible version.
ironsquid
Registered Member
typeyourtexthere wrote:Hi! It's nice to meet you all!

Although this submission already contains all the required sounds, it is still possible that I add or modify something before the end of the competition.
Audio (.wav) and project (.mmpz) files are on my Google Drive.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1iT8gH6nMhmqkDbZZM0yUNJiTRpJAvWGK?usp=sharing

All the melodies are made by me.
The audio samples used in this collection are self-made. Some editing was performed in Audacity.
MIDI soundfont used in alarm-4 is FluidR3_GM.

The VST plugins I used:
LABS virtual instruments pack (https://labs.spitfireaudio.com/)
Podolski synthesizer by u-he (https://u-he.com/products/podolski/)
VSUpright Piano synthesizer (https://vis.versilstudios.com/upright-1.html)

If I add anything else to this collection, I will notify if there is a sound sample made by third parties or a specific plugin required to open the project file in LMMS.
All the audio is released under CC0. I do not need any credits if someone wants to use these sounds.
Since I do not have any experience in sound design, any criticism or advice is highly appreciated.
Thanks.

Thank you for submitting your work to the KDE competition! I'm just going to give feedback on your submissions as you asked for;

alarm1- This could do well with the violin played in the background of the soothing parts. I like it, but it's a bit long for an alarm.
alarm2- Really nice, I don't have much to say about this one.
alarm3- This gives me "C418-Cat" vibes, Me likey.
alarm4- A bit long for a ringtone, but it's pretty well put together.

keyboard_basic- Not much to say. It fits really well for its intended purpose.
keyboard_modifier- Also fits really well for its intended purpose.

notify-1- Could do with a slightly dampened tail on the reverb.
notify-2- Could do with quite a reduction on the reverb.
notify-3- Too ear-piercey, either try using an EQ to soften the resonances, or lower the notes on the piano roll.
notify-4- Galaga vibes, I like it.
notify-5- Love the angelic feel of this one.

ringtone-1- Consistent yet attention-calling, I like it.
ringtone-2- There's a lot of clicking on this one, try fiddling with the Volume ASDR envelope.
ringtone-3- I love the energetic nature of this one, but it could loopback a little better, it just cuts off abruptly without any bridge back to the beginning.
ringtone-4- Same as with the previous.

Good luck to you on the contest! :D
typeyourtexthere
Registered Member
Thank you for submitting your work to the KDE competition! I'm just going to give feedback on your submissions as you asked for;

Thank you for a review! I will take it into account and try to fix the issues you've pointed out.
Could you provide stems for the LABS, Podolski and VSUpright Piano plugins? They're not FOSS and the LABS plugin doesn't appear to have a Linux compatible version.

Oh, okay. I will update everything in a few days and add separate folders for stems. If I understood correctly, the stem is a part played by a specific instrument, without others, right?
ndavis
Registered Member
OS
I'm very hesitant to give specific advice because it's one thing to imagine something, another thing to explain it adequately and I don't want to turn your creative vision into my creative vision.

Alarms:
  1. Kind of nice, but a bit too dissonant, or rather the dissonance feels oddly placed in the song. The sections with the strings feel disconnected from the rest of the piece.
  2. Sounds too stiff. The way the guitar is played makes it too obvious that it's from a soundfont. This melody with this rhythm don't feel very interesting to me. On my phone's speakers, it's a bit too quiet for an alarm. Sounds that have strong medium to high frequency content tend to be much more audible on phone speakers, but also have a higher chance of sounding harsh.
  3. I like the changing pace at the beginning and the gradually building energetic feeling with more and more details being added. Quite punchy, but not harsh. I think this is my favorite sound.
  4. This reminds me of the Newbie Melody and Book of Spells from Runescape (in a good way).

In my opinion, length doesn't matter that much, so It's OK to be a bit long or a bit short.

My opinions on the keyboard sounds are basically the same as ironsquid's. There's not a whole lot to say, but they sound like they could work well.

Notifictions:
  1. Decent.
  2. Unusual, but not bad and I see a use for a more discrete sounding notification sound.
  3. Not my kind of thing, but I could see some people liking it. I agree with ironsquid's suggestion to soften it. Rolling off the high end might be all you need.
  4. basically the same sentiments as #3. It's not as harsh, but still a bit harsh.
  5. Sounds nice. I think it's slightly longer than it should be.

Ringtones:
  1. Not bad.
  2. I kinda like the 1st half, but the 2nd half sounds too random. Also, there are some odd click sounds in there that are a bit harsh. Getting rid of those clicks is probably going to be a bit difficult, but maybe play with the attack of the volume envelope just a little. There are declicker effects out there too.
  3. Pretty good.
  4. Too stiff and a bit quiet on my phone's speakers compared to the other 3 ringtones
ndavis
Registered Member
OS
Oh, okay. I will update everything in a few days and add separate folders for stems. If I understood correctly, the stem is a part played by a specific instrument, without others, right?

Basically, yes. The point of a stem is to let me hear the audio from the plugin in the project as it was intended to be heard without requiring me to have the plugin installed and working.
kohane
Registered Member
I love the set particularly the alarms. They get my attention but they don't... well, they don't alarm me too much ;D
Thanks for them! Looking forward to use them.
Sawuare
Registered Member
I'm not a fan of long progressive alarms and ringtones. I think it's better to start with the most interesting part and just loop it.
For example, I looped alarm-4 between 0:53 and 1:04 and I really like it. It's an interesting blend of a few instruments that I could listen to over and over.
I also like ringtone-2 but it's too clicky.

The keyboard sounds cut off around 5 kHz. I think they sound better with some distortion.

Some samples need trimming (e.g. keyboard_basic is 700 ms with 70 ms of sound) and normalizing to 0 dBFS.
Also some samples are mono and should be in mono files (single tracks). That would reduce file sizes by a factor of 2!
Audacity can easily do such editing. Let me know if you need assistance.
d3xbot
Registered Member
I like these tones a lot!

Alarm 3 is my favorite, but Alarm 4 is also pretty great! While 1 and 2 start off a bit more chill than I'd like, some people do like a good progressive alarm.
I like the keyboard sounds. Not too intrusive, but still keyboard-sounding enough.
Notify 1, 3, and 5 work well for me. Notify 2 feels rather subtle, but may have some utility. Notify 4 certainly grabs attention!
Ringtone 2 is the best IMO - it loops nicely :)
typeyourtexthere
Registered Member
Hi again!
I have updated some of the old files, added a folder for stems and made a bunch of new alarms and ringtone melodies! The latest version of my submission is ( quite obviously =) ) in the "Latest Version" directory in the google drive.

A direct link to the new version folder:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XsmchCnm5XPjdX-Esvvf4syXDA66-AOq?usp=sharing

P.S. Some of the drum parts were generated using Google Magenta Drumify, which is an open source project which uses autoencoder neural networks to create drum MIDIs based on musical input and edited by me later.

Last edited by typeyourtexthere on Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guilhermems
Registered Member
typeyourtexthere wrote:Hi again!
I have updated some of the old files and added a bunch of new alarm and ringtone melodies! The latest version of my submission is ( quite obviously =) ) in the "Latest Version" directory in my google drive.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XsmchCnm5XPjdX-Esvvf4syXDA66-AOq?usp=sharing

Hi! Thank you!

Looking at the project files I noticed a few things:

Some sounds contains some samples that we want to avoid using due to licensing. Those are the .ogg samples included in LMMS.

Alarm-5: hihat_closed01.ogg, hihat_closed05.ogg and snare07.ogg

alarm-6: hihat_closed06.ogg

alarm-8-loop: hihat_opened02.ogg

alarm-8: hihat_closed01.ogg, snare02.ogg and hihat_opened02.ogg

alarm-9: bassdrum04.ogg and snare02.ogg

alarm-11: hihat_closed05.ogg, hihat_closed02.ogg, sidestick01.ogg and explode01.ogg

ringtone-5: bassdrum_acoustic01.ogg, hihat_closed04.ogg and snare_acoustic01.ogg

ringtone-7: hihat_closed03.ogg, shaker01.ogg, sidestick01.ogg, hihat_closed01.ogg and snare04.ogg

ringtone-11: hihat_closed01.ogg and snare01.ogg

You can choose to remove them from your composition or replace them with public domain samples found in freesound.org or https://github.com/sonic-pi-net/sonic-p ... tc/samples

We'll be deciding the winners 20 of June. So we hope you can make the necessary changes before that date, if you cannot, we might try to replace the sounds ourselves, meaning they could sound different.

Thank you very much for your work, and good luck!
typeyourtexthere
Registered Member
Guilhermems wrote:
typeyourtexthere wrote:Hi again!
I have updated some of the old files and added a bunch of new alarm and ringtone melodies! The latest version of my submission is ( quite obviously =) ) in the "Latest Version" directory in my google drive.

Hi! Thank you!

Looking at the project files I noticed a few things:

Some sounds contains some samples that we want to avoid using due to licensing. Those are the .ogg samples included in LMMS.

Alarm-5: hihat_closed01.ogg, hihat_closed05.ogg and snare07.ogg

alarm-6: hihat_closed06.ogg

alarm-8-loop: hihat_opened02.ogg

alarm-8: hihat_closed01.ogg, snare02.ogg and hihat_opened02.ogg

alarm-9: bassdrum04.ogg and snare02.ogg

alarm-11: hihat_closed05.ogg, hihat_closed02.ogg, sidestick01.ogg and explode01.ogg

ringtone-5: bassdrum_acoustic01.ogg, hihat_closed04.ogg and snare_acoustic01.ogg

ringtone-7: hihat_closed03.ogg, shaker01.ogg, sidestick01.ogg, hihat_closed01.ogg and snare04.ogg

ringtone-11: hihat_closed01.ogg and snare01.ogg

You can choose to remove them from your composition or replace them with public domain samples found in freesound.org or https://github.com/sonic-pi-net/sonic-p ... tc/samples

We'll be deciding the winners 20 of June. So we hope you can make the necessary changes before that date, if you cannot, we might try to replace the sounds ourselves, meaning they could sound different.

Thank you very much for your work, and good luck!

Yeah, I know. I've noticed it recently and replaced or muted all of these samples. Some of them are still in project files though, but they should not sound anywhere.
I can remove all the appearances of these files completely, if required. Is it necessary?

Also, I have a couple of questions.

Since I was replacing these samples tonight before the deadline, I didn't have a lot of time and some of the replacements sound not the way I like. Is it allowed to edit existing files after the deadline?

Also, are the LMMS .ogg samples the only ones which have the licensing problems? Can I use the .ds files included in LMMS for this competition?

And the last one:
Am I allowed to add or modify anything else before 20 of june? Will these updates be reviewed by judges?

Thanks for your reply!
Guilhermems
Registered Member
I can remove all the appearances of these files completely, if required. Is it necessary?

If they are muted then it's fine, you don't have to do anything else.

Since I was replacing these samples tonight before the deadline, I didn't have a lot of time and some of the replacements sound not the way I like. Is it allowed to edit existing files after the deadline?

Yes, you can edit them as you wish, preferably until Sunday (20).

Also, are the LMMS .ogg samples the only ones which have the licensing problems? Can I use the .ds files included in LMMS for this competition?

Yes, you can use the .ds files. You can also use proprietary VST plugins/plugins without Linux versions as long as you provide the stems as well. If you wish you can also replace them with CC0 sounds from freesound or from this repository: https://github.com/sonic-pi-net/sonic-p ... tc/samples

And the last one:
Am I allowed to add or modify anything else before 20 of june? Will these updates be reviewed by judges?

Yes, you can modify anything you want until 20 of June.

Thanks!
typeyourtexthere
Registered Member
I have added some more ringtones and alarms and edited a couple of the old ones a little. The link to the latest version of the submission stays same.