This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kdevelop duplicate session, even after wiping

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
marcoesposito
Registered Member
Hi everyone,

I was using KDevelop with profit and satisfaction until it decided not to start anymore because it "can't lock the session".

I restarted the computer, wiped the .kdevduchain directory in the user home, looked for any other user file, uninstalled and reinstalled everything.
Nothing.

Can you please help me understand where can this lock be? Or at least suggest something further to wipe? It doesn't even try to recreate the user .kdevduchain folder. But still it hallucinates a lock.

The system is a fully updated Mac, and I installed KDevelop from macports. Everything was working fine before.

Thanks in advance,
Marco
scummos
Global Moderator
OS
.kdevduchain was recently moved to .cache/kdevduchain, maybe it's because of that change?
Anyways, kdevelop should detect that no other instance is running and then should suggest to delete the lockfile... apparently this is broken on mac?

Cheers,
Sven

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.
marcoesposito
Registered Member
scummos wrote:.kdevduchain was recently moved to .cache/kdevduchain, maybe it's because of that change?
Anyways, kdevelop should detect that no other instance is running and then should suggest to delete the lockfile... apparently this is broken on mac?

Cheers,
Sven

Hi Sven, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately .cache/kdevduchain doesn't exist either (could be that I also wiped that and I don't remember about doing it).

Still, same thing. Whatever mechanism is being used is very broken on Mac.
I am using version 4.4.1, the last available on macports. Everything is up to date as well.

I hope this is solved soon, as C++ just doesn't feel the same without KDevelop.
scummos
Global Moderator
OS
Is there an equivalent for strace on mac? If I have such a problem, I always do strace -f <program> and search the output for the program (sucessfully) acessing paths containing "lock" or similar. That usually reveals the location of the lockfile pretty quickly.

Cheers,
Sven

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.
marcoesposito
Registered Member
scummos wrote:Is there an equivalent for strace on mac? If I have such a problem, I always do strace -f <program> and search the output for the program (sucessfully) acessing paths containing "lock" or similar. That usually reveals the location of the lockfile pretty quickly.

Cheers,
Sven

Thanks, I will try this asap and report my experience :)
looks like there are some equivalents (ktrace, ...), I think it will take some time to get a grasp of them
marcoesposito
Registered Member
SOLVED (completely by chance):

I ultimately found out during a completely unrelated task, that app preferences are also saved in ~/Library/Preferences.

So I could solve the problem by wiping Library/Preferences/KDE/share/apps/kdevelop/sessions/*

Hope this can help someone!

Thanks anyway for your hints.