This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Open with a mac app from within a kde application

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Phlogiston
Registered Member
I'm using digikam on ML and was wondering if it's possible to get the "open file with" working for native/other mac apps. So for example that I can right click on a picture and select open with and then choose gimp, Ps or whatever directly. In the dialog i cannot select any mac applications, could I create a script for that?

Thanks
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
In theory this should be possible I guess. It would require registering the native Mac applications with the KDE infrastructure, so that Digikam, etc are aware of them and their capabilities.

First though, we need to see if they are able to launch Mac OS X applications. Do you have Dolphin installed? If you do, please open it and try to use it to launch a native Mac OS X application.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Phlogiston
Registered Member
I just figured it out, thanks to this link http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?s ... 2218171997 and using the open command. Just passing the argument after the application doesn't work.

Using a simple script like this (can be done in Automator and then save to Applications):

Code: Select all
#!/bin/zsh
open -a "The app name" "$1"

You then simple chose the app (go to the folder .app/Contents/MacOS/ to find the actual binary/script).