This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Dolphin and kio_sftp on Mac

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
moofang
Registered Member

Dolphin and kio_sftp on Mac

Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:05 am
Hi,

I have some KDE apps on a Macbook Air, installed via macports, and am seeing some issues. On Dolphin, I can't seem to scroll smoothly with the trackpad/mousewheel. Small scroll amounts don't do anything, and when I scroll very quickly then the scrolling happens in abrupt jumps. Click-dragging the scrollbar works perfectly, just wheel-scrolling.

Also, when using sftp/fish kioslaves, it doesn't prompt me for authentication, forcing me to embed my password in the url, like so: sftp://username:password@my.server.url. This happens both in Kate and in Dolphin.

Are these known issues or is there a way around? thanks :)

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Dolphin and kio_sftp on Mac

Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:00 am
Hmm - which version of KDE are you using here?
Also, is "kuiserver" running on your system?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
moofang
Registered Member

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:33 am
Hi,

Thanks for answering. "About KDE" in dolphin > help says 4.11.2. And kuiserver does appear to be running.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:55 pm
Is "libssh" available in Macports?

KDE Sysadmin
moofang
Registered Member

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:04 am
Yea it seems to be:

$ port installed | grep ssh
libssh @0.5.5_0 (active)

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:10 am
Has kde-runtime been installed on your system?

KDE Sysadmin
moofang
Registered Member

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:51 pm
Yeah it is: kde-runtime 4.11.2.

Also, I'm really more concerned about the dolphin scrolling issue than the fish:// issue - that latter isn't quite as frustrating :)

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:51 am
In terms of the scrolling issue, is this a system with a Retina display by any chance?
For the password issue, if you open a terminal and run the following command what output do you see?
Code: Select all
qdbus org.kde.kded /modules/kpasswdserver

KDE Sysadmin
moofang
Registered Member

Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:26 pm
I don't actually know how to check for sure if it's a retina display, but the "about this mac" thing "display" section says "Built-in Color LCD Display". Not sure if that rules out retina display?

The qdbus command gives "Service 'org.kde.kded' does not exist.", interestingly.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Dolphin and kio_sftp on Mac  Topic is solved

Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:38 pm
That explains the password entry issue, as kpasswdserver is unavailable. Please try running "kded4" and see what is output.
In terms of your system having a Retina display - I would suggest checking the Apple site concerning the model number of your system, which should reveal if it does or not.

KDE Sysadmin
moofang
Registered Member

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:38 am
Starting kded4 (via /Applications/MacPorts/KDE4/kded4.app/Contents/MacOS/kded4) did indeed solve the password problem :) Thanks greatly!

And with some research it looks like Macbook Airs don't have retina displays, so that should be a no.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:42 am
Hmm. I'm stumped in regards to the scrolling issue i'm afraid - Qt should follow the usual OS X settings there, so i've no idea why that isn't working correctly. If you start other KDE applications (like KWrite for instance) do they behave correctly? It might be a Dolphin specific bug...

KDE Sysadmin
moofang
Registered Member

Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:14 am
I also use Kate heavily, and scrolling works perfectly there, so yeah it seems to be dolphin specific. It's kind of a shame because dolphin is so powerful compared to Mac's default file browser.

Thanks a bunch all the same for your help :) At least I got one problem out of the way.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:58 am
Okay, if scrolling works correctly in Kate, then it is definitely a Dolphin specific bug - please file a bug report at bugs.kde.org mentioning that the version of OS X, Qt and KDE you are using so the developers can investigate this further. Dolphin uses a custom view for performance reasons, which may explain this issue.

KDE Sysadmin