This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

launch kdebase4-workspace-x11

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kdema
Registered Member
OS

launch kdebase4-workspace-x11

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:25 am
Hello everyone,

I just subscribed to the forum and the community to kde. I have a problem. As described on this site http://mac.kde.org/?id=build, I installed through fink all packages needed to use kde on mac, both natives and x11. Actually initially I installed only native packages to don't use x11 of course, but then, when I want to install the package kdebase4-workspace-x11, I was forced to install the also the other packages (that required x11) because they are dependencies of this package. Now I think my question is very easy for those who are expert in terminal, x11 and this things (I frankly do not mean much of anything, I just followed the instructions to install everything, but I do not understand any things... :? :? :? ). I was wondering how to run the package kdebase4-workspace-x11 (as the title in fact), how to open this package and then the desktop plasma on my mac. I ask you this setup because I really like the Plasma desktop and I would like to try it on my mac ;) . I have also seen this picture on the web.

I simply ask you how can I open the package. Where should I click, what do I do in the terminal? x11? For native packages just click on the relative icons or search it through spotlight, but with x11-based programs I do not understand how to start them. And this is weird because I write gnuplot on x11 to launch it... :? :? :?
However I know that native and x11 packages are installed in / sw/opt/kde4/mac and /sw/opt/kde4/x11 respectively (as also the site says above). Waiting for reply. And I apologize for these questions that maybe you think are stupid. Thank you. ;)

(Ah, I tried to install all through macports, but I could not understand what can I do at the end of the installation to run the packages... boh ...)
edmundhighcock
Registered Member
OS

Re: launch kdebase4-workspace-x11

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:36 am
Hey, you need open .xinitrc in your home directory and comment out/delete the line that says

exec quartz-wm

and replace it with

exec /sw/opt/kde4/x11/bin/startkde

If you don't already have .xinitrc in your home directory, create it.

Now kde should launch when you start X11.