This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kubuntu 8.10 released

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
claydoh
Registered Member
OS

RE: Kubuntu 8.10 released

Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:35 pm
While I disagree with the 'not ready for production' comments, I do heartily recommend and encourage folks to try out a live version of Kubuntu Intrepid first. That way you will see if it is Right For You (TM) :)

Also do note that contrary to michael4910's post, an upgrade to 8.10 will completely replace KDE3 with KDE4
Look here for some info and links.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
assassin66
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:58 pm
Today I came within seconds of upgrading from Kubuntu 8.04 to Intrepid, and the only thing that stopped me was when I saw it said that I would lose KDE 3.5 forever basically. Is this true? Would I not be able to keep my KDE 3.5 desktop with Intrepid upgrade?
I know I could try a live CD and try a 2nd partition, but I mean on the partition I have Kubuntu 8.04 on now.
Any help would be appreciated with this matter.

John

assassin66, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
beermad
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:01 pm
assassin66 wrote:Today I came within seconds of upgrading from Kubuntu 8.04 to Intrepid, and the only thing that stopped me was when I saw it said that I would lose KDE 3.5 forever basically. Is this true? Would I not be able to keep my KDE 3.5 desktop with Intrepid upgrade?

It may well be possible to re-install KDE3 after you've installed Intrepid. But it will be completely wiped during the install and your ~/.kde directory will be over-written with KDE4 configuration.

So if you want to risk it and hope you can re-install KDE3, make sure you back up that directory before the "upgrade" gets chance to mess it up.

assassin66
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:45 pm
I am now in the process of trying out Intrepid Ibex with KDE 4.1 on a live CD, after downloading and writing to a CD in kubuntu 8.04. The first thing I have noticed is that it is much slower than its predecessor. That could be down to it being a live CD and not installed, I'm not sure yet.
I think that I may well try Intrepid Ibex with KDE 3.5 and see if that speeds things up at all? What beermad said is interesting, and maybe worth trying if I can keep KDE 3.5 until 4.2 comes out and I can try that in comparison!
Thanks again.

John

assassin66, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
changturkey
Registered Member

Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:33 pm
assassin66 wrote:I am now in the process of trying out Intrepid Ibex with KDE 4.1 on a live CD, after downloading and writing to a CD in kubuntu 8.04. The first thing I have noticed is that it is much slower than its predecessor. That could be down to it being a live CD and not installed, I'm not sure yet.
I think that I may well try Intrepid Ibex with KDE 3.5 and see if that speeds things up at all? What beermad said is interesting, and maybe worth trying if I can keep KDE 3.5 until 4.2 comes out and I can try that in comparison!
Thanks again.

John

I think you should wait until 9.04.

changturkey, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
beermad
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:55 pm
assassin66 wrote:I am now in the process of trying out Intrepid Ibex with KDE 4.1 on a live CD, after downloading and writing to a CD in kubuntu 8.04. The first thing I have noticed is that it is much slower than its predecessor. That could be down to it being a live CD and not installed, I'm not sure yet.
Thanks again.

John

I think the speed thing is an artefact of running it from the CD. Apart from the fact that transfer speeds from CD are probably not as fast as those from a hard drive, everything on the CD will be compressed, so you've also got the decompression overhead slowing you down.

The one thing I'll say in Intrepid's favour is that the speed of boot-up is seriously improved on the previous release. And I have to admit that KDE4 initialises pretty fast too, though having had all sorts of crud in my old installation I don't know if that's because of KDE4 or because of it being a clean install. But at the moment I'll give KDE4 the benefit of the doubt on that :-P