This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE4.2 alpha available?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Mike_Welch
Registered Member
OS

KDE4.2 alpha available?

Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:25 pm
I saw on the release schedule that KDE4.2 alpha was supposed to be available to the general public on Oct29th, but I haven't seen any mention of it anywhere.

Does this mean that packages are available somewhere and I just don't know where to look? Or do I have to checkout from svn and compile? (Seems like it would be silly to announce general availability if it's still co from svn.)

I've been running Kubuntu 8.10 since Alpha 6 was released, and I've never been happier with my computing experience. Thanks KDE guys!

Mike_Welch, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Githzerai
Registered Member
OS

RE: KDE4.2 alpha available?

Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:16 pm
Of course it's available ;)
ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/4.1.71/src/

Curent SVN is, as always, alpha1+

When KDE devs say that something is available to general public they mean source.

KDE devs will not provide distro specific packages, it's up to distros to provide that.

As for Kubuntu 8.10, Project Neon provides packages both for latest KDE and Amarok SVN snapshots.

Stercus accidit
Mike_Welch
Registered Member
OS

Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:45 pm
Githzerai wrote:Of course it's available ;)
ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/4.1.71/src/

Curent SVN is, as always, alpha1+

When KDE devs say that something is available to general public they mean source.

KDE devs will not provide distro specific packages, it's up to distros to provide that.

As for Kubuntu 8.10, Project Neon provides packages both for latest KDE and Amarok SVN snapshots.

Thanks for the great reply! I'll have to take a peek later tonight!

Mike_Welch, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Zarin
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:23 am
There was some talk on the mailing list about not needing an alpha as we have the weekly tarballs. If there is an alpha it will be just a tarball with a new name so it gets a little bit more "buzz" and will make it ever-so-slightly easier for developers to debug.

It's not really worth it though, beta 1 (November 25th) is the first big 4.2 release.
michael4910
Alumni
OS

Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:02 am
Zarin wrote:It's not really worth it though, beta 1 (November 25th) is the first big 4.2 release.

Yeah, the 4.1beta was definitely an improvement compared to 4.0.x - at least for me... I wonder if I switch my computer then on Nov, 25th... ,-)

michael4910, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Korosu_Itai
Registered Member
OS

Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:52 am
Mike_Welch wrote:I've been running Kubuntu

There are some guys of Amarok who compile KDE4 nightly, it's called Project Neon. They build KDE, not only Amarok. The packages are for Ubuntu, it's a easy way to have the svn version of KDE installed and updated.
They haven't release intrepid packages yet, but sure they will do soon ;)

brainsqueezer
Registered Member
OS

Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:16 pm
Any packages for Debian?

brainsqueezer, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.