This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

how to install KDE?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gauravdighe
Registered Member

how to install KDE?

Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:58 am
I was having kubuntu 13.04. I tried to install cinnamon for experiencing look and feel of cinnamon. I didn't like it as much as i like KDE. So i decided to remove all GNOME, UNITY and Cinnamon packages from the system and I ended up with only terminal rather than the Kubuntu Desktop :(

I need a full fledged KDE system built on ubuntu with KDE graphical interface(latest look-and-feel). So I installed below:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install kde-full

Now after installing kde-full package, is it necessary to install any one of the below for graphical user interface? and which is the best from below?
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-full
vs
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-standard
vs
sudo apt-get install kde-plasma-desktop

Please do help
Hans
Administrator
OS

Re: how to install KDE?  Topic is solved

Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:37 am
Moved to Linux subforum.

According to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingKDE, kubuntu-full contains a full Kubuntu installation, kde-full contains most KDE modules including everything in kde-plasma-desktop, and kde-plasma-desktop contains the bare minimum for KDE Plasma workspace.

So if you want the Kubuntu experience, I would uninstall kde-full (to be on the safe side) and install kubuntu-full.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts