This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can I use ibus with xorg.conf rules?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sparhawk
Registered Member
OS
I just installed ibus. However, it appears to be overriding some of my xorg.conf rules. I have a file at `/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-general-xkb.conf`, which includes the following line.
Code: Select all
Option "XKbOptions" "lv3:ralt_switch_multikey,numpad:pc,ctrl:swapcaps"

This swaps Ctrl and Caps Lock. However, my primary ergonomic keyboard already has these keys in the correct place. Hence, I have another file at `/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/11-TECK-keymap.conf` that matches this keyboard (with `MatchProduct`), then applies the following line.
Option "XKbOptions" "lv3:ralt_switch_multikey,numpad:pc"

This overrides the previous options, leaving Ctrl and Caps Lock as default.

However, after installing ibus, I'm finding that the second xorg.conf file is not firing correctly. After restarting my computer, or switching ibus layouts, I have the first, incorrect xorg layout, i.e. the ctrl:swapcaps option is incorrectly applied to my ergonomic keyboard. If I manually remove and plug back in the USB cable, then the layout is correct again. Is there a way to use ibus with xorg.conf rules?

FWIW the following is in ~/.xprofile.
export XMODIFIERS="@im=none"
export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
ibus-daemon -drx

(I found some recommendations to change the first line to `export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus` instead, but this prevents the Compose key from working in some applications, such as LyX.)

I'm using Plasma 5 and an up-to-date Arch Linux system.

Afterthought: if this is not possible, an ugly hack might be to rebind the "switch ibus layout" key to reload the xorg.conf rules after switching. I can't find a way to reload these rules though.

Originally posted here with no response.