This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Problems with graphical environment

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS

Problems with graphical environment

Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:31 pm
I was using Debian testing + KDE.
Today I got some weird messages about system halts because compressed data corrupt, I also got a system freeze just before loading the desktop.
So I decided to do a full system upgrade and it crashed completely the graphical environment, no more desktop, now typing in my backup computer.
First time a system upgrade goes so bad, removing hald the system, and then impossible to fix from terminal, complains cannot installneeded packeages because I held broken packages, install -f didn't fix anything.
So I decided to go to stable so my troubles would be fixed, I reformatted system disk and installed stable from a netinst CD. I have an nvidia card which does not make things simpler, but not a problem installed nvidia driver, rebooted, and graphical environment is unwieldy, system settings does not work work righ, Display and Monitor applet, does not behave normally, does not detect the second monitor and I cannot launch applications correctly.
Please help, what am I missing?
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
Do the problems happen when using another desktop session (good ones to try include XFCE, LXDE or one of the variety of stand-alone window managers)?
Do the problems happen with a freshly-created user?

Did you keep your home directory, complete with all prior (kde) settings? If so you might consider clearing out the old configs from ~/.config/ (while not logged in to Plasma)

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS
Well, I reformatted my system partition and loaded Debian stable + KDE from netinst CD (US repo).
Things are not working right with icons but this seems to be an ongoing problem since they don't work right on my laptop either, which never crashed.
Icons do not drag and snap into position at random.
That is the only problem I am experiencing with KDe grahics at present.
toad
Global Moderator
OS
Very odd. I'm running Testing with KDE on my desktop and my T430s and haven't experienced any problems. I remember the glut of new KDE and Breeze packages, installed them, logged out, logged back in and everything worked fine on both machines (the former on nouveau, the latter on an intel GPU driver).

Unfortunately you wiped the offending box. Did you migrate your .kde and/or /home folder to the new install or are we talking about a vanilla Debian stable install? Have you checked the Debian forum for similar problems? What hardware/driver do you use for your GPU?

Lots of digging to be done ;)

Debian testing
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS
toad wrote:Very odd. I'm running Testing with KDE on my desktop and my T430s and haven't experienced any problems. I remember the glut of new KDE and Breeze packages, installed them, logged out, logged back in and everything worked fine on both machines (the former on nouveau, the latter on an intel GPU driver).

Unfortunately you wiped the offending box. Did you migrate your .kde and/or /home folder to the new install or are we talking about a vanilla Debian stable install? Have you checked the Debian forum for similar problems? What hardware/driver do you use for your GPU?

Lots of digging to be done ;)

It is a new install of Debian stable. driver is nvidia installed with nvidia-driver package.
There is a post in Debian user forums, so far without luck.
System settings does work after second reformat, loading KDE from netinst CD (US repo).
toad
Global Moderator
OS
Could you post the output of lspci -k|grep VGA -A2

Debian testing
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS
No output as root:
root@crosshair:/home/ckosloff# lspci -k|grep VGA-A2
root@crosshair:/home/ckosloff#
as user
ckosloff@crosshair:~$ lspci -k |grep VGA -A2
6:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] (rev a2)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti]
Kernel driver in use: nvidia
toad
Global Moderator
OS
Cheers. You need version 334.21 and no other for the nvidia driver to function correctly. A quick

dpkg -l | grep vidia

should tell you which version you have installed. If the above is not in your repos you need to install it manually from here: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverre ... 3666/en-us

HTH

Debian testing
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS
This is what I have:
ckosloff@crosshair:~$ dpkg -l | grep vidia
ii glx-alternative-nvidia 0.7.4 amd64 allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX provider
ii libegl-nvidia0:amd64 375.82-1~deb9u1
I think stable has kernel 9.XX, maybe too old for my graphic card: GeForce GTX 750 Ti, which is an nvidia card, so maybe I should go back to testing to get a more advanced kernel.
I can load more advanced kernels alongside the one I have but the driver is compiled for the old one, so that would not work.
toad
Global Moderator
OS
Well, there you go. I'm no expert on Nvidia drivers but know that the wrong one presents you with nothing but trouble. You have the choice of either going with the nouveau or the correct Nvidia driver. The latter, while providing you with the obvious advantages, prohibits access to TTY 1-6 (ime). Try it out and report back or find more experienced advice...

Debian testing
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS
toad wrote:Well, there you go. I'm no expert on Nvidia drivers but know that the wrong one presents you with nothing but trouble. You have the choice of either going with the nouveau or the correct Nvidia driver. The latter, while providing you with the obvious advantages, prohibits access to TTY 1-6 (ime). Try it out and report back or find more experienced advice...

Thanks for your efforts.
I downloaded that driver and all the time fearing that it would crash my system further, I attempted install as root with dpkg, but could not proceed because that file is malformed: it ends with extension .run, not a .deb file, dpkg unable to install.
So. I guess that I will have to reformat again and go back to testing, with all the work that this implies.
If you have a better idea, I'm listening.
Thanks.
toad
Global Moderator
OS
Yep, a .run file, You need to make it executable and then run it ;) Go into the directory you have it saved in. Then do a

sudo chmod +x name_of_file.run

followed by

sudo ./name_of_file.run

or

sudo bin name_of_file.run

Debian testing
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS
toad wrote:Yep, a .run file, You need to make it executable and then run it ;) Go into the directory you have it saved in. Then do a

sudo chmod +x name_of_file.run

followed by

sudo ./name_of_file.run

or

sudo bin name_of_file.run

It is already a .run file.
Problem is I cannot install with dpkg.
Thank you.
toad
Global Moderator
OS
Yes! deb and run are two different pairs of shoes. You cannot use deb on run files but have to start them on their own. Preferably even do it outside X. So do the above but in tty3, for example. If Nvidia let's you do that, that is ;)

Have a look here http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L ... index.html

Debian testing
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS
toad wrote:Yes! deb and run are two different pairs of shoes. You cannot use deb on run files but have to start them on their own. Preferably even do it outside X. So do the above but in tty3, for example. If Nvidia let's you do that, that is ;)

Have a look here http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L ... index.html

Unrelated question: is testing (buster) working for you?
I found how to install file by using ./, did not install yet, still mulling going back to testing.