This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Lockup in Plasma Desktop

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dbarron
Registered Member

Lockup in Plasma Desktop

Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:14 am
I decided yesterday that Plasma was where I wanted to be, after playing with a number of desktops environments.
I installed on sparkylinux, and found that I was occassionally locking up. Desktop and virtual terminals were non-accessible, however the cursor would still move.
Tonight, I decided to install kde neon, and had the same experience in about 15 minutes after the install.
The machine has been stable on other desktops and distros.

I did not bootup my laptop to ssh in (probably don't even have ssh-daemon installed yet in neon) and look around and just powered down. I'm now posting from Windows.

Anyone have an idea why KDE hates my machine? and what I might do to fix it ?
Thanks.
Danny
dbarron
Registered Member

Re: Lockup in Plasma Desktop

Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:46 pm
Ok, well I mosied on to test some more distros. I'm running Manjaro now with a kernel of 4.19.13 and plasma-desktop 5.14.5-2. For the past three hours I've been stable in it. No clue...really no clue. I'm reporting in case this is helpful to someone else.
dbarron
Registered Member

Re: Lockup in Plasma Desktop

Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:07 pm
Ok, I obviously didn't wait long enough. I've had two lockups since last posting. I also determined the machine is truely locked up (no ssh no ping) though screen still unresponsively displayed.
I'm going to validate that problem doesn't exist in another desktop by using budgie for a day or two. I will continue to document.