This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to I recover a forgotten password for Linux Mint?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
maneagle
Registered Member
Mamarok
Manager
OS
How is that in any way related to this forum? FWIW: you need admin rights on your Linux system to change passwords. Not related to the Graphical User Interface

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
maneagle
Registered Member
How to I recover a forgotten password for Linux Mint? I really like Linux mint but installed it on an older thinkpad computer that I am returning to service and although I can get into the system and use it, I can't access new software and every time I am asked for the password, I am told it is wrong. How do I recover it or change it?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Sounds like you used a different password for the root account, if you don't remember it I am sorry but there is no way of retrieving it. It works the other way round only, Root can reset user passwords.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...