This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Chrome freezes on Kubuntu

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
cmeys
Registered Member

Chrome freezes on Kubuntu

Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:38 pm
When I went from Kubuntu 19.04 to 19.10, Chrome began to have a very particular problem: when I try to open the configuration, the three vertical dots at the top right, chrome hangs for 30 to 40 seconds. This happens only once every time I open the application.

In other words: once the application has been blocked, for having tried to open the configuration, and after 30 to 40 seconds, it does not happen again. Every moment I open Chrome, this problem happens.
Before, when I was using Kubuntu 19.04, this freezing never happened.
I was searching the Ubuntu forums and nobody has reported this problem. I don't know if it's a problem with Kubuntu or KDE Plasma.

I ask those who have neon KDE or other distribution with Kde, if this also happens or if someone knows how to solve this strange problem.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Chrome freezes on Kubuntu

Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:45 pm
Can't reproduce this here, so might be specific to your installation.

FWIW: did you install Chrome from the Kubuntu repos or from the Chrome website?

My Chrome version is Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
cmeys
Registered Member

Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:00 am
Mamarok wrote:Can't reproduce this here, so might be specific to your installation.

FWIW: did you install Chrome from the Kubuntu repos or from the Chrome website?

My Chrome version is Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Thanks for your answer

I haven't seen Chrome in Discover from Kubuntu. Yes it is chromium in Discover, which I have also downloaded from there, and it also has the same problem as Chrome but with one difference: the freeze lasts much less, less than 10 seconds.
I downloaded Chrome directly from the Google Chrome page, when I was in the previous version of Kubuntu, that is, 18.04, then I passed the successive versions until the last one, the problem began.
Now I don't have the computer on which I installed Kubuntu, but I think it has the latest Chrome update.
sisoev
Registered Member

Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:39 pm
I have the same problem and in addition tab freezing from time to time.
Chrome version: 78.0.3904.108 (Official Build) (64-bit)
System info:
Operating System: Kubuntu 19.10
KDE Plasma Version: 5.17.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.64.0
Qt Version: 5.12.4
Kernel Version: 5.3.0-23-generic
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz
Memory: 7,6 GiB of RAM
jacobseated
Registered Member

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:12 am
This, I believe, is in fact an old bug that has resurfaced, should have been fixed in 77.0.3865.19

Problem: Clicking the menu the first time will freeze or crash Chrome.

I remember dealing with this a few versions back, and after intense Googling, I found a discussion where someone said it was fixed in the (at the time) beta or dev version, and would be fixed in the final release..

I managed to find the bug discussion again, and apparently this has to do with fonts.

Read more here: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/is ... ?id=904994

Regardless, the problem was almost eliminated in 77, but I would still get 0-1 second freezes when clicking the menu.

Now it's much worse than it was before 77, and it even crash the browser on occasion.
jacobseated
Registered Member

Re: Chrome freezes on Kubuntu  Topic is solved

Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:43 pm
Just writing to let you know that the problem appears to have solved itself.

I do not know if updating to the latest Linux kernel, rebooting, changing the default UI font, or installing other updates did anything to fix it. But it seems the problem has finally disappeared again.

I am fairly sure it has nothing to do with Chrome just releasing an update, as the problem went away before I updated to 79.