This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Laptop boot problems

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
klingen
Registered Member

Laptop boot problems

Thu May 14, 2020 1:16 pm
Hi!

There's a problem when you try to boot from a laptop (specifically ryzen processors?) with the charging cable unplugged, it gets stuck while booting and you have to either plug in the battery charger or restart the computer a bunch of times.

Is this a known issue that could be fixed?

We use Kubuntu 20.04 and KDE Plasma 5.18.4

Looking forward for answers, thanks!

P.S
I beg your pardon if i put this in the wrong section 8)
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Laptop boot problems

Fri May 15, 2020 8:44 am
How is this a Plasma issue? Did you google if this is a known problem for your specific laptop? Sounds like a hardware issue to me.
Plasma only comes in after the computer is started and the kernel is loaded

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
klingen
Registered Member

Fri May 15, 2020 11:08 am
Mamarok wrote:How is this a Plasma issue? Did you google if this is a known problem for your specific laptop? Sounds like a hardware issue to me.
Plasma only comes in after the computer is started and the kernel is loaded

Considering this is happening on 3 different laptops, 2 from Lenovo which are brand new, and one HP that's not old ,i would not say that this is a hardware issue, i do beg your pardon for not specifying, i put up the post in a hurry and i've made others on different forums.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Fri May 15, 2020 4:46 pm
Again, since Plasma or any KDE application will not be started unless your laptop is started and the kernel is loaded, then there are the following possibilities, none of them we can do anything about it:

* Kernel problems -> talk to your distro
* Grub problems -> talk to your distro
* Secure Boot issues in your BIOS -> talk to your distro

All these problems are not relevant to our forum, which is about Plasma, KDE Applications and the KDE Community

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...