This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Global shortcut for specific application menu

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alfaex
Registered Member
Hi.

I'ts possible to do create a global shortcut for a specific application menu like in macos.

Rhythmbox is the only music player for linux that I found that has a "remove from playlist" options.

I want to set an global shortcut to activate this option.

It is possible?

Thanks.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Not really KDE specific, Rhythmbox is a GTK application so it probably needs a GTK-specific shortcut. You need to check the options in the application for this.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
alfaex
Registered Member
As far I know the application doesn't have a any shortcut for this.

So I was hoping for some application like on macos that I can attach any global shortcut just by the menu name.

Thanks.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Right-click on the Application Launcher -> Edit Applications. You can choose a shortcut in the "Advanced" tab that should launch the application. Careful though not to choose an already existing combination

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
alfaex
Registered Member
sorry if I'm mistaken, but it seems that you described how to create a shortcut to open the software.

The macos shortcut that i mentioned It's for create global shortcuts for menus from an application, not for opening the application.

for example, I can go to macos shortcuts interface and say "when I press printscreen activate the menu 'Remove From Playlist' from the iTunes software"

This way I can create any shortcut, for any program without a third party software, if it's on a menu in the application (file, edit, view) it's possible to target it from shortcut interface in settings.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
This works on MacOS because it is one single type of applications, all optimized for macOS on a common code base. AFAIK there is nothing similar on Linux.

koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS
Hello!

I do not know if rythmbox has appropriate methods but this seems to be a job for DBus. As an easy example you can create a new shortcut using `kcmshell5 khotkeys`, Edit → New → Global Shortcut → D-Bus Command, set a key combination and fill the action tab with:
Remote application: org.kde.ActivityManager
Remote object:          ActivityManager/Activities
Function:                    NextActivity
Arguments: none / empty

The corresponding qdbus-call on command line would be `qdbus org.kde.ActivityManager /ActivityManager/Activities NextActivity`

If rythmbox has implemented dbus and a function for calling the menu you want, you can use this way to bind it to a shortcut. If not you can ask for it on their repository or use a player that fits your needs.