This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

GLIBC_2.33 not found on Kubuntu 20.04 LTS

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ibart
Registered Member
Hi, this is my first post. o)

I have been an (average) linux user for 20 years. I've switched to KDE one year ago. I have always been a fan of LTS versions, but this Kubuntu 20.04 is driving me mad because I have several applications that give me the error 'GLIBC_2.33' not found failing the compiling. It is really annoying because there is no workaround... Isn't it possible to update this damn package so fundamental to the system without breaking any law of physics?

Thanks.

P,S, i thought it was a Kubuntu forum. Whooops! :<
Mamarok
Manager
OS
This is distribution specific, and doesn't belong here.

Anyway, if you want version 2.33 you need Kubuntu 21.04, your version is simply too old. That's the downside of choosing LTS over regular releases, you don't have the latest software after a year

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
Isn't it possible to update this damn package so fundamental to the system without breaking any law of physics?

Well, you sort of answered your own question :D .... the glibc version is so extremely fundamental to the entire OS it would require breaking the laws of....well, not physics, but of programming and logic, at the very least.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
ibart
Registered Member
Yeah thanks and sorry for the post about a specific distro.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
Maybe see if those individual projects you are trying to compile have some sort of build option to use a different glibc?
This is going to be specific to the code, probably. I have compiled a small number of things on 20.04 without seeing this myself.
But if the developer wants their thing to have this minimum dependency, there won't be much that can be done about it, I imagine.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
ibart
Registered Member
claydoh wrote:Maybe see if those individual projects you are trying to compile have some sort of build option to use a different glibc?
This is going to be specific to the code, probably. I have compiled a small number of things on 20.04 without seeing this myself.
But if the developer wants their thing to have this minimum dependency, there won't be much that can be done about it, I imagine.

the most important thing I am unable to upgrade it my Kernel. I am stuck at 5:11.10-051110-generic because nvidia drivers fails to install because of that glibc < 2.33.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
Yup, none of this has any relevance to KDE, it is very specific to *buntu.

However
Why would you need to compile anything to install Nvidia, or need a newer kernel?
The most current drivers (470.63) are available natively in Ubuntu, including 20.04 LTS, so there will be/should be no glibc problem.
(I have not noted anything similar being reported by Kubuntu users in the places I lurk, haunt, and moderate)

In any case, I will guess you are trying to install Ubuntu's unsupported 'mainline' kernels, which for whatever reason seem to have it's linux-headers packages requiring the new glibc recently, so the headers won't install and/or work on 20.04 or earlier

There are other sources for new kernels if you do still need something more current.
https://liquorix.net/ is one example.

ibart
Registered Member
claydoh wrote:Yup, none of this has any relevance to KDE, it is very specific to *buntu.

However
Why would you need to compile anything to install Nvidia, or need a newer kernel?
The most current drivers (470.63) are available natively in Ubuntu, including 20.04 LTS, so there will be/should be no glibc problem.
(I have not noted anything similar being reported by Kubuntu users in the places I lurk, haunt, and moderate)

In any case, I will guess you are trying to install Ubuntu's unsupported 'mainline' kernels, which for whatever reason seem to have it's linux-headers packages requiring the new glibc recently, so the headers won't install and/or work on 20.04 or earlier

There are other sources for new kernels if you do still need something more current.
https://liquorix.net/ is one example.

Thanks mate. :)