This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

LibreOffice crash on KDE + AMD graphics

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sta
Registered Member
OS
This question is more for the libreoffice forum, but may be someone here has ideas on how to fix this error.

LibreOffice goes out from screen and disappears from the taskbar in 0.5 - 4 minutes after the start.

Crash occurs on both Wayland and X11. The office works less on Wayland (1 min), and on X11 longer (~4 min). The error is reproduced for me if the LibreOffice window, expanded to the full screen, is overlap by the Firefox window.

What I tried on X11 :

1 Disabled anti-aliasing in normal libreoffice mode (Tools-Options-LibreOffice-View)
2 Disabled full hardware acceleration in LibreOffice safe mode
3 Reset the user profile, so that LibreOffice booted as for the first time
4 Reinstalled LibreOffice
5 Reinstall libreoffice-kf5 package over rpm-ostree

All these measures did not help.

I tested on the same machine with AMD graphics LibreOffice on GNOME - it works stable.

I tested LibreOffice on KDE on old machine with Intel graphics without libreoffice-kf5 - it works stable.

I would be very grateful for any thoughts, that would help solve the problem.

Thanks!
Mamarok
Manager
OS
How about more details about your exact Plasma version and distribution? Did you try with a new user?

FWIW, I can't reproduce this on Kubuntu 21.10, Plasma 5.23.3

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
sta
Registered Member
OS
Hi !

Thank you very much for your answer!

I use plasma 5.22.5 on Fedora 35 (kernel 5.14) Silverblue with KDE. On the traditional version Fedora 35 (5.14) KDE (5.22.5) Spin all works perfectly (on X11 and on Wayland). Hardware AMD Ryzen 5500U and AMD RENOIR.

I tried to reproduce this error on another machine (main different between machines, I think, is AMD and Intel architectures) with the same OS (Fedora 35 (5.14) Silverblue + KDE 5.22.5) - I also failed - everything works fine and stable there on X11.

Yesterday, during my further research, when I first started the LibreOffice, I received a message, first as pop-up window of the KDE (right on screen, near by KDE tray), and then an informational dialog box, that org.libreoffice.LibreOffice (I use office over Flatpak) is running in the background. Here is the dialigbox ("the may be for a legitimate reason but application has not provided one...") pictures, as I understand it, this is not an LibreOffice message, this is a system message (?) :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZwtcRq ... p=drivesdk

During my research, I did not get it on other desktops (for example, GNOME on the same machine - Ryzen 550U + RENOIR) and I would be very grateful for thoughts about what it means and why it is not on other desktops. It also did not appear on the Live-system, when LibreOffice works traditionally and not over Flatpak.

Maybe if I don't allow the LibreOffice to work in the background here on the dialogbox, that will a reason why LibreOffice crashes further ? And why does dialogbox i see only in the KDE?

Thanks!
Mamarok
Manager
OS
You can not run more than one instance without specific arguments, so every attempt to start LibreOffice will fail if it is already running in the background. I suggest force quit this instance if you can not get it back on top.

FWIW: please use Spectacle to get a screenshot instead of taking an actual picture with your phone, it will be better readable and you can select a specific region.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
sta
Registered Member
OS
Yes, thank you very much for your answer !

I will check today again the launch of the LO in the background as you said (for this I will reinstall the system) and forcibly close it through the system (?) dialog, that I showed above. Thus, I will see if the situation is reproduced when the office is arbitrarily closed 1-4 minutes after the start every time.

Thanks !