This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Install KDE Plasma on Debian from Removable Media(?)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gpwr
Registered Member
OS
I want to install KDE Plasma on Debian Bullseye. I don't want all the bloat that normally comes with it, but I do want essentials such as the file browser and other such utilities.
Therefore, I've been told to use the command [sudo apt install kde-plasma-desktop plasma-nm], which seems reasonable.
However, I don't have internet, so I would like to know where I can download the package to load it from a USB drive or DVD. I couldn't find it on the official KDE website.
Thank you in advance for any help, and God bless.

Our aim has to be the infinite and not the finite. The infinite is our homeland. We have always been expected in Heaven.
—Bl. Carlo Acutis
Mamarok
Manager
OS
You need that package from Debian if you want to install it on your Debian installation, we do not make packages for distributions. Please ask your distribution, the packages are available online.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
gpwr wrote:I want to install KDE Plasma on Debian Bullseye. I don't want all the bloat that normally comes with it, but I do want essentials such as the file browser and other such utilities.
Therefore, I've been told to use the command [sudo apt install kde-plasma-desktop plasma-nm], which seems reasonable.
However, I don't have internet, so I would like to know where I can download the package to load it from a USB drive or DVD. I couldn't find it on the official KDE website.
Thank you in advance for any help, and God bless.

Note that kde-plasma-desktop is only a meta-package. It is basically just a list of all the packages Debian uses for a minimal Plasma desktop. It will be a fairly large number of mostly smaller packages.

You won't be able to grab just one jumbo package to install Plasma, or any desktop for that matter.

I am sure that there are methods to download all the individual packages for an offline install, but you probably will need to use more Debian-specific resources for more info, unless someone reading this has some knowledge on the topic.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
gpwr
Registered Member
OS
claydoh wrote:Note that kde-plasma-desktop is only a meta-package. It is basically just a list of all the packages Debian uses for a minimal Plasma desktop. It will be a fairly large number of mostly smaller packages.
You won't be able to grab just one jumbo package to install Plasma, or any desktop for that matter.
I am sure that there are methods to download all the individual packages for an offline install, but you probably will need to use more Debian-specific resources for more info, unless someone reading this has some knowledge on the topic.

Indeed this probably concerns Debian more than it concerns KDE. Thank you for pointing that out, and thank you for the information. I hadn't realised I couldn't just use some sort of all-in-one .DEB package (which would have been quite nice, but hey.) If ever I do get my hands on all the resources necessary, though, I'll probably conceive something similar, for ease of offline use.

Mamarok wrote:You need that package from Debian if you want to install it on your Debian installation, we do not make packages for distributions. Please ask your distribution, the packages are available online.

Thank you, Ma'am. I'll check that out on the Debian side and post my solution here if ever I find one.

God bless.

Our aim has to be the infinite and not the finite. The infinite is our homeland. We have always been expected in Heaven.
—Bl. Carlo Acutis