This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can I choose to NOT update some Apps ?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gazbaz
Registered Member
Hi.

I would like to not update some Apps, as an example I do not use Firefox, but I am happy to leave it at it's current version.

If I untick it, it comes back next time I check for updates.

Is there a way to stop it AND any other Apps i may not want to update ?

Thanks

Gaz
dzon
Registered Member
You can. But the command depends on the distribution ( apt hold, exclude etc...).
In your case of firefox. If you don't use it, what does it matter what version it is? Just asking.

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.
gazbaz
Registered Member
Hi,

I am using Kubuntu 21.04

I used Firefox as that has just come up as a update.

Another example ...
I only use one particular Kernel on my PC and I am happy to stay at that version, but in the future I will be offered updated ones which I do not need.

It would be nice if there was an easy way to decline an update.

thanks

Gaz
dzon
Registered Member
Well, I suggest you do some reading. Stuff like: https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/apt-get-hold-back-packages-command/, https://connectwww.com/how-to-prevent-ubuntu-kernel-update-disable-or-stop-linux-kernel-update/62052/
If you're using a package manager like, say, synaptic, you can lock things there as well.
For instance, firefox. Look for firefox in synaptic, check the package button in the menu, lock version.
But like I said, some reading is a good thing.

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.
gazbaz
Registered Member
Thanks that is very helpful, i will read them :)
gazbaz
Registered Member
Hi,

I used MOUN and it worked perfectly, I now set Firefox to be locked at it's current version and now I do not get asked to update it

Thanks for your help

:)