This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Tigervnc suddenly stops working with plasma

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
grooveman
Registered Member
Hi.

I've been using tigervnc for a long time now (years), and I have never had this problem. When the KDE base was upgraded from 20.04 to 22.04 on KDE Neon, suddenly, this started. I have spent numerous hours googling this, trying various strategies, revisiting all the documentation I could find on the subject and otherwise trying to get assistance. Whatever changed, it does not appear to be documented... but I'm hoping that someone else out there with an intimate knowledge of KDE, X, VNC and Ubuntu can give me a hand here...

To keep this brief, I have stripped vnc down to the bare minimum, just for testing purposes. (I'll get fancier when I know it works!). First, I like to use tigervnc the old fashioned way: start up a server on the command line, and connect via a client on the command line. I'm not really interested in running it through systemd. Again, to keep things as simple as possible, I'm doing all my testing (client and server) on the same system. Here we go...

My xstarup:
Code: Select all
dbus-launch /usr/bin/startplasma-x11 &

(which has been working for me for the past 4 years or so)

In a terminal, as my user, I execute:

tigervncserver -xstartup /home/me/.vnc/xstartup

I'm given the following output:
=================== tail /home/me/.vnc/it-me-lin2:5901.log ===================
======================================================================================

Session startup via '/home/me/.vnc/xstartup' cleanly exited too early (< 3 seconds)!

Maybe try something simple first, e.g.,
       tigervncserver -xstartup /usr/bin/xterm
The X session cleanly exited!
Killing Xtigervnc process ID 8268... success!

when I look at /home/me/.vnc/it-me-lin2:5901.log
Tue Nov  8 14:36:16 2022
vncext:      VNC extension running!
vncext:      Listening for VNC connections on local interface(s), port 5901
vncext:      created VNC server for screen 0
[mi] mieq: warning: overriding existing handler (nil) with 0x562e4dcc4400 for event 2
[mi] mieq: warning: overriding existing handler (nil) with 0x562e4dcc4400 for event 3
3NI3X0 New Xtigervnc server 'it-me-lin2:1 (me)' on port 5901 for display :1.
3NI3X0 Use xtigervncviewer -SecurityTypes VncAuth -passwd /home/me/.vnc/passwd :1 to connect to the VNC s
erver.
ComparingUpdateTracker: 0 pixels in / 0 pixels out
ComparingUpdateTracker: (1:-nan ratio)
$DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to the X server.

This is vexing, because the display is actually accessible, and I've tried exporting when launching the server, in the xstartup script, and everywhere I can think of.

The interesting thing here is that if I issue:
tigervncserver -xstartup /usr/bin/xterm

It will launch. THEN I can issue dbus-launch /usr/bin/startplasma-x11 & inside the xterm it spawns, and Plasma launches...

so I'm thinking that this is somehow a SDDM or a Plasma issue of some sort. I have tried setting my xwrapper to 'Anybody', but that didn't help either. I'm not sure where to go with this. I appreciate any help.

G
grooveman
Registered Member
There is something magical about taking the time to post...

I figured this one out on my own, minutes afterward. It is funny how I can spend a week of bashing my head into walls, and it isn't until I post that the answer comes to me. I tried to delete this thread... but the forum does not seem to allow me to do it, so I apologize if this seems inane.