This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] reinstall Kubuntu bootloader

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
szarmadzag
Registered Member
I had to reinstall windows, and now my optional boot sequence is gone. My Kubuntu is on a separate hd, NOT on a separate partition.

I know that I basically have to go into terminal w/a Live CD boot, I just don't know what to change. Yes, I know. I am a n00b, I only used ubuntu for 6mos. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by bcooksley on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
musta ruhtinas
Registered Member
OS

RE: restore BIOS

Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:58 am
what you need to do is to restore the boot manager (in this case grub), not the BIOS.
a very simple way to do it is to use Super Grub Disk; simply boot off the Super Grub CD and follow these instructions

Running Kubuntu Jaunty (9.04) on:
Laptop -> Toshiba Satellite A200-14D, Intel Core Duo T2350 (@1.86GHz), 1GB DDR2 (667MHz) RAM, NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 256MB
Desktop -> Intel Pentium 4 (@2.4 Ghz), 1GB DDR-400, ATI Radeon 9200 128MB
TNorthover
Registered Member

Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:59 am
szarmadzag wrote:I know that I basically have to go into terminal w/a Live CD boot, I just don't know what to change. Yes, I know. I am a n00b, I only used ubuntu for 6mos. Any help is greatly appreciated.

It's possible only the boot priority is messed up because I didn't think even windows overwrote the boot sector of every drive on the system. It may be worth looking in BIOS to see if the computer is trying the windows drive before your linux one. (If you can't tell there, disconnecting the windows drive physically and trying to boot would be a quick test -- if linux boots your problem is the priority).

However, if windows has overwritten the boot sector the basic safe procedure is
1. Boot livecd
2. Mount your linux drive (I'll assume it's /dev/hdc1 from here and mounted to /mnt/hdc1).
3. Setup a chroot environment: execute "mount -o bind /dev /mnt/hdc1/dev" and "mount -o bind /proc /mnt/hdc1/proc". This is so that support files are where they're expected for the next step.
4. Execute "chroot /mnt/hdc1 /bin/bash" to get into a reasonably native system.
5. Execute "grub-install /dev/hdc" to restore the boot sector and so on.
6. Reboot and hope.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:39 am
I haven't had the need for this for a long time, but I seem to recall that some distro (RedHat, SuSE?) allowed you to type 'linux rescue' at the boot prompt, which would present the user with a menu where one of the options was 'Restore boot sector' (or similar).
Isn't this used anymore (or have other distros not adopted this)?

Since you say you're a n00b (no need to be ashamed: we were all n00bs one day):

- boot with a install or live cd in the drive
- when/if it says 'boot:', don't hit Enter, but type 'linux rescue' (no quotes) and then hit Enter
- see what happens; may work, may not

Rob

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:23 pm
Given the amount of time this thread has been inactive, and the presence of multiple solutions, this problem is likely solved. If it is not, please do not hesitate to unmark the thread as solved by removing [SOLVED] from the thread subject.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]