This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Best KDE4 distro?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
LukasT.dev
KDE Developer
OS

RE: Best KDE4 distro?

Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:23 pm
I use Fedora 9 and KDE4.1.2 and I'm quite happy :)
But I think that openSuse is better choice as it was mentioned that some developers backport features like panel hidding -- what is great.

Fedora has also some old apps in repos from KDE3 supported in KDE4.

Daylight is coming...
Krita developer | http://lukast.mediablog.sk/log
Mark Ziegler
Registered Member
OS

Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:58 pm
Please make a poll!

How to do that?
Earlier post from neverendingo:
Well then, that would be the best time to introduce another of the functions of a forum.
Why not make a poll out of your post? This way we can have a better overview of the opinions.
Simply edit your original post, one of the last options is to have a poll. Give us some options and everyone can vote.

Link: showthread.php?tid ... 17#pid6317

Please visit http://userbase.kde.org as well to get an overview about what kde can do for you :-)
BartOtten
OS

Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:27 pm
Reading blogposts on kdeplanet.org I advise openSUSE. I do use it myself and I can confirm the previous posts and those on the planet. openSUSE does customize their packages very nice, they update very often (even de development-version of 4.2) and there are not so many problems (I use the development-versions so I guess the 'normal' edition is even more stable)

If you install openSUSE 11.0 now you can upgrade in December to 11.1 that will have KDE4 as default (so they really need to ship quality)
super.rad
Registered Member
OS

Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:03 pm
Sorry if it seemed like I was asking which to try, I'm quite happy with Arch at the moment. Just wondered what everyone else's opinions were of other distros. I'll definatley keep an eye on kubuntu though as I already have ubuntu installed to see how intrepid is coming along.

super.rad, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Blizzz
Registered Member
OS

Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:07 pm
Since a failed try with SuSE on my very Linux beginning i stick to Kubuntu, which i am satisfied with. I have no need and no wish to test out something else :)

zaine_ridling
Registered Member

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:35 pm
Like a few others, I've tried everything over the past year and have settled on Kubuntu. There are bugs, but nothing I can't live with. As a relative newbie, the Ubuntu forums are a nice congruence.
Andre
Registered Member

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:39 pm
Definitely OpenSUSE. In my opinion it's the most stable, best-looking KDE experience you can get today. Plus they also push KDE (and linux as a whole) development forward, have a nice community, a good website, and since the last version a very good package manager (zypper).

Last edited by Andre on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five? A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head.' ~Terry Pratchett

'It's funny. All you have to do is say something nobody understands and they'll do practically anything you want them to.' ~J.D. Salinger
google01103
Manager

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:42 pm
OpenSuse provides 3 versions of KDE4 - 4.0,4.12 and kde4.2beta if understand the stable, factory and unstable repositories correctly. This I would think is a more complete access to kde4 then other distro's.

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

super.rad
Registered Member
OS

Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:09 pm
A lot of people recommending opensuse, might have to give it another go and see if I can get used to rpm's. Couple of questions before I download it again, is it rolling release? If not can you upgrade to new versions without having to reinstall?

super.rad, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
michael4910
Alumni
OS

Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:17 pm
seems that the award goes either to OpenSuse or Kubuntu. ;-)
What about Mandriva as a big KDE based distribution? Is it such bad or is simply none of you using it?

For my concern - I'm happy with Kubuntu. Only the nvidia driver sucks - but will obviously, too, in all distributions... I see no reason to change at least unless someone can convince me that zypper has got better than apt.. ;-)

michael4910, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
PeperJohnny
Registered Member
OS

Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:23 pm
michael4910: Mandriva is not that bad but since i like apt more than rpm its not an option for me.

PeperJohnny, proud to be a member of KDE since 2006-Dec.
Do you dare?
Arkold Thos
Registered Member
OS

Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:36 pm
Using Kubuntu atm, although I am Debian user since 2002 or so~

ipwnyou
Riinse
Registered Member
OS

Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:48 pm
I'm using kde4 with suse. If you have enough repositories in yast configured, dealing with rpm's is quite trivial.

Riinse, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Spyhawk
Registered Member

Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:24 am
I use openSUSE, which provide probably the best KDE4 experience available imho.

And yes, package management in suse is lot better (thx to ZYpp). Quick, efficient (using satsolver, unlike apt/other rpm tool), linked with hal/dbus.. he is still under developpement, but has reached the level of maturity now, and can be easily compared to Apt-get. Zypper is perhaps even better.

Last edited by Spyhawk on Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andre
Registered Member

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:48 am
A lot of people recommending opensuse, might have to give it another go and see if I can get used to rpm's. Couple of questions before I download it again, is it rolling release? If not can you upgrade to new versions without having to reinstall?

It was not recommended until now, because the migration to Zypper was very recent, and they changed the RPM format to include more metadata. It was possible though (by downloading zypper as rpm first).
In all versions from now it should be possible to just do a

zypper dup

(dist-upgrade). One of the very nice additions of Suse is the Build Service, you get very up-to-date packages from it (like KDE nightlies). Have a look at http://software.opensuse.org/search, from there you can install all packages with one mouse click (1-click-install). It's also advisable to browse the wiki a bit. For their KDE offerings look at:

http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/Repositories

which includes KDE 3, KDE 4.0, KDE 4.1 and KDE 4.2 trunk, all with optional extra and community packages. Third party repositories (for e.g. VLC, nvidia and ATI drivers, etc.) are listed here:

http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_ ... positories

Even easier is adding a meta package, which includes some of these third party repositories. A helpful one is the following, which includes restricted formats (and adds the VLC and packman repository):

http://opensuse-community.org/Multimedia

'And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five? A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head.' ~Terry Pratchett

'It's funny. All you have to do is say something nobody understands and they'll do practically anything you want them to.' ~J.D. Salinger