This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Best KDE4 distro?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jemadux
Registered Member
OS

Re: Best KDE4 distro?

Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:04 pm
for me is archlinux ..... ok opensuse is great kde distro the bad news is that it's 1 version before .... now in opensuse the kde version is 4.5 that release in march ...
but in archlinux is just in time ...
defently i wont choose gentoo or sabayon because the compiling
google01103
Manager

Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:36 pm
jemadux wrote:for me is archlinux ..... ok opensuse is great kde distro the bad news is that it's 1 version before .... now in opensuse the kde version is 4.5 that release in march ...

wrong (not even close) - openSuse currently provides 4.4, 4.5, 4.6 and trunk. It is as up to date as any distro out there and probably more so
http://en.opensuse.org/KDE_repositories

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

toad
Global Moderator
OS

Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:34 am
Let's face it, Arch for all its positives cannot be called the best KDE distro out there by any means. Mozilla packages aren't patched and openoffice took a fair bit of convincing to look okay before libreoffice came along. As far as vanilla packages go - yeah, I'm with Arch all the way, but does it by default provide a smooth qt experience? Does it ...

Suse has always been easy on the eye, however, and Kubuntu does a fairly decent job, too. Has anybody mentioned Sabayon yet? I had that on a virtual once and it did look good.

Debian testing
jemadux
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:14 pm
google01103 wrote:
jemadux wrote:for me is archlinux ..... ok opensuse is great kde distro the bad news is that it's 1 version before .... now in opensuse the kde version is 4.5 that release in march ...

wrong (not even close) - openSuse currently provides 4.4, 4.5, 4.6 and trunk. It is as up to date as any distro out there and probably more so
http://en.opensuse.org/KDE_repositories

i am trying to doing this w/ the repository prints same conflicts
DeTomasso
Registered Member
OS

Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:21 pm
Most definitely Slackware.
danny0085
Registered Member

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:11 am
This article might help you to decide what is the best linux distro for you
dejan034
Registered Member
OS

Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:59 am
Most definitely Debian testing. 8)
combuster
Registered Member
OS

Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:17 pm
I would vote for openSuSe. I don't use it on a regular basis, but every time I've tried it - KDE4 worked flawlessly...

I'm an ArchLinux user but the lack of debugging symbols is annoying me the most. Still I type this from Arch 4.6.2 KDE SC :)
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:19 pm
PCLinuxOS! Dedicated to KDE from day 1.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
danny0085
Registered Member

Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:25 am
This article might help you to decide what is the best linux distro for you
dante19992
Registered Member
OS

Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:41 pm
I have tried openSUSE, Kubuntu, Chakra, Linux mint 9 & 10 KDE, and Sabayon and I must say I prefer Linux mint 10 KDE at the moment.
bigpook
Registered Member
OS

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:09 pm
Using KDE 4.6 on Kubuntu 11.04 beta 2...its ok.

Ok is pretty good though and I like what I see so far.

I do think Ubuntu is a bit faster overall, at least it seems that way to me.
simpleblue
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:10 am
I like Chakra currently as my favorite distro. I love the core concepts of it:

- Keep it simple approach. A bare KDE install, you install only what you want
- Half rolling release
- Fully KDE focused and as much GTK free as possible. They embrace KDE to its fullest

It uses pacman as the package manager and is Arch based so it screams in speed for installing programs. I've never seen anything faster. It downloads the packages almost instantly and after that it's ready to launch. There is also no 20 seconds waiting for the repo list to load up.

The artwork, including the bootloader, install, and kde bootup animation are amazing. You can tell that alot has gone into the polish!

And finally, maybe this is a kernel issue, but Chakra worked OTB with my nvidia graphics card. Couldn't say that with some other very popular distros.

If you <3 KDE and want to be smothered in it then you may want to add Chakra to your list. As well, many of their programmers actually use the forums frequently. It's great to know that you can talk to a dev if you need to.

http://chakra-project.org/index.html
totedati
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:29 am
jemadux wrote:defently i wont choose gentoo or sabayon because the compiling

hey! its NOT true! >:(

sabayon is a gentoo spin, like is ubuntu from debian but sabayon is a binary distro! because is based of entropy infrastructure and equo package manager who is a binary package manager!

what is true is that equo package manager is 100% compatible with portage and this means that if you want speed and quick instalations you use equo and if you want latest svn versions you can use safely portage for source based instalations, for almost any software package! dangerous is only big updates who in a pure gentoo setup will reinstall almost all packages like a glibc update

you can use portage to install kernels from sources or equo for quick and already prepared binary packages and will be 100% compatible

you can use portage to install openoffice from source or equo quick and already prepared binary packages and will be 100% compatible

you can use portage to install kde-meta or gnome-meta from source or equo quick and already prepared binary packages and will be 100% compatible

is only one little issue using equo binary packages in sabayon, binary compiled packages is as ususal ove version behind latest ebuild version available in portage like is also in archlinux

i also see that archlinux is a little quick than sabayon in providing latest version ... when in sabayon i have libreoffice v3.3.2 and portage libreoffice v3.3.3 in archlinux is also libreoffice v3.3.3

not a big issue because if i really want right now that latest version i can always use portage for that ...
daedaluz
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:28 pm
Chakra hands down, no contest. It's first of all KDE-only, so that's excepted. In my experience it's clearly the fastest booting and running KDE distro out there and comes with sensible settings out-of-box. It also never fails to amaze me how little problems it has (close to none), considering its devs dub it as "alpha" and its semi-rolling nature.

However, it works both ways. Sadly four major softwares I use heavily are GTK: IBUS, Firefox, LibreOffice and GIMP. They're installable as self-containing "bundles" into users home directory, in case you wonder how they run in KDE-only distro in the first place.

I'm happy with openSUSE as well and use it as main system (for now).