This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How do I use the 'Windows' key to raise the menu?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
KenJackson
Registered Member
OS
I want to use the Windows key or CTRL-ESC to raise the menu. How can I do that?

It seems like System Settings -> Keyboard & Mouse would be the appropriate place, but I didn't see anything.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The Windows key is also known as the "Meta" key. The Meta key is classed as a "Modifier", which means it cannot normally be used as a shortcut key. If you implement this, you will lose all other Win Key + <Other Key> combinations you currently have.

You need to modify ~/.Xmodmap as needed. Guides exist on the internet that explain the needed steps.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
odranoel
Registered Member
OS
I know it's not the same, but you can use, for example, META + ALT, or META + SPACE.
Right click in the menu button (the application launcher)-> application launcher settings -> keyboard shortcuts.

Hope it helps
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
GerryTith wrote:Thanks odranoel that's a good alternative. Although bcooksleys' way sounds like it would work but I don't understand how to do it.

If your keyboard has both a windows key and a context menu key, I would suggest you use the second instead. The windows key is a standard-part of many keyboard shortcuts, so other things may not work the way you're used to if you remap the windows key to open the menu.

Still, here is what you do:

Create a file called say ~/.xmodmap. Put the following in that file

Code: Select all
keycode 135 = F14

The keycode is for the context menu key in this case. If you really want the windows key,
replace the keycode with 115. This makes your system thinks the key is really a F14 key.

Then you put a script in the Autostart-folder (usually ~/.kde/Autostart) with the following content

Code: Select all
#!/bin/sh
xbindkeys &

Make the script executable (chmod +x filename).

Either logout and in again, or just run the script.

Right-click on the menu (assuming you're using kickoff), and select "Application launcher menu settings". Click on "Keyboard shortcut", followed by a click on button with a wrench on the left-hand side (probably says None next to the wrench). Hit the window/context-menu key depending on which one you decided to use. The None should change to F14. Click okay.

Now kickoff should open whenever you hit that key.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
d4v1dv00
Registered Member
OS
odranoel wrote:I know it's not the same, but you can use, for example, META + ALT, or META + SPACE.
Right click in the menu button (the application launcher)-> application launcher settings -> keyboard shortcuts.

Hope it helps

Many thanks
carltonh
Registered Member
OS
I was curious if the limitation of "using the Meta key alone killing combination uses of it" has changed since answers were posted over a year ago. I know that Ubuntu's Unity allows both the Meta/Super key to be used either alone or in combination. If this has not changed, could it be made a feature request?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Changing this would require making changes to Qt, the framework which underlies KDE.

KDE Sysadmin
carltonh
Registered Member
OS
Not trying to question too hard, but Ubuntu's "Unity 2D" is built with Qt, and has the functionality. Did Ubuntu find some Qt work-around to make it work there?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You would have to ask them I'm afraid. It could be that they have implemented their own input handling for that rather than using the input system built into Qt.

KDE Sysadmin
Murz
Registered Member
I have found the very good solution for this problem, it is described on page http://hanschen.org/2012/10/17/open-app ... super-key/
gavinc
Registered Member
odranoel wrote:I know it's not the same, but you can use, for example, META + ALT, or META + SPACE.

Hope it helps

Thanks Odranoel. I would +1 you if there was an option.
mescobal
Registered Member
OS
Look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=89&t=39073&p=333078#p333078

More than a few users are asking for that feature (present in every other major DE!!!!).

Marcelo.
jalali
Registered Member
You can use ksuperkey though
https://github.com/hanschen/ksuperkey
its likely to be available in your distro's official repos too
msdobrescu
Registered Member
OS
I've read since Plasma 5.8 this should be native.
Where is this managed?
Kubuntiac
Registered Member
msdobrescu wrote:I've read since Plasma 5.8 this should be native.
Where is this managed?

I was using Ksuperkey, but then it seemed to stop working. It turns out that since Plasma integrated ksuperkey, that if you still have ksuperkey it actually gets in the way. Just removing the script that started ksuperkey and closing its process made my meta key immediately start working again for opening the menu.