This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

HowTo: Fix 4 common Kubuntu problems!

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
google01103
Manager
Sophiefl -

1) Mach Boot has been superseded by a variant of Chromium (the OS not Browser, see machboot.com)

2) Mach Boot uses IceWM, not KDE

3) Yes Mach Boot is based on Debian (per Google) look at /etc/debian_version to see what version

4) Probably better off posting on Debian as not a KDE related problem, make sure to include kernel and Debian versions

5) Probably better off using the new Chromium version

6) You don't note whether Ubuntu connects to your wireless, if it does I'd guess your problem is driver related. You also don't state that your wireless connector app (whatever it is) opens or if it shows any available networks. ifconfig would be a could command to run to see what connectivity is available

7) Have you looked for Mach Boot forums/mailing lists to search?

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

mue.de
Registered Member
OS
simpleblue wrote:I have a minimalist approach to getting the WPA wireless working that will even work from the command line if you were not able to boot into a graphical interface.

Thanks a lot for that tip ! I was often forced to lay a lan-cable to the router as i got problems with dist-upgrades (even now to Oneiric...) ;-(

But is there a small mistake in your post?

You wrote :
# Enter your wireless signal name and password. Mine is 'dlink'. You will have to replace 'dlink' with yours... Then enter your password for that wireless signal at the blinking curser so it will be saved to file:
Code: Select all
wpa_passphrase dlink > /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

Since the file has still only root-permissions at that point, the pipe couldn't work?
So should one use ''sudo'' or chmod before that command?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Please be aware that newer distributions, shipping with NetworkManager 0.9 allow you to create "System Connections" which will allow the system to connect automatically, even when logged in as root at the console.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]