This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Double menu entries: KDE4 on MEPIS

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
XiniX
Registered Member
OS

Double menu entries: KDE4 on MEPIS

Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:53 pm
I installed the MEPIS beta3 (based on Debian Lenny) and replaced KDE3 with KDE4 from the Lenny 'backport' repos. Everything worked OK, except for the fact that when I hot Alt-F2 to launch an app, I get two entries for the same app. E.g., typing in 'fire' gives me two firefox entries and two entries for Guarddog firewall. In the case of FF, one entry has the Debian icon and one has the offial FF icon.

The menu only holds one entry for each app, so the menu search seems to be getting its info from someplace else.

It is not a big nuisance, but a nuisance nonetheless. So far, all I could come up with was run 'update-menus' but that didn't help. Any ideas?

XiniX, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The command you would be looking for is kbuildsycoca4
This builds the index of information concerning plasmoids, menu entries, plugins for most applications, etc.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
tkoski
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:The command you would be looking for is kbuildsycoca4
This builds the index of information concerning plasmoids, menu entries, plugins for most applications, etc.

Thanks. Did the trink :thumbs_up:

Attitude before intelligence.
XiniX
Registered Member
OS
hmm, sorry, in my case it didn't help.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If you open Krunner and open its settings ( spanner icon ) what runners are listed? there should not be any duplicates.
Also do you have any other users on your system, and ( if they use KDE4 ) are they affected by this as well?

Last edited by bcooksley on Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
XiniX
Registered Member
OS
Sorry, just read your post, but it is fixed.

Turns out the debian menu got in the way, even though I had deleted it from my menu structure. Somehow the xdg files that make up the menu are read, and not the user's menu entries.

What I did was go into /etc/xdg/menus and move the debian-menu.menu out of it. Then ran update-menus and kbuildsycoca4 just for the heck of it, and now I no longer get the double entries.

Guess this is a Debian specific issue that will probably be solved once Debian lets KDE4 get into sid / testing.