This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

want desktop media icons but NOT file icons [SOLVED]

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
hg21
Registered Member
Using kubuntu

from KDE control centre->desktop->behaviour, I tick show icons, then open device icons tab and tick appropriate boxes. This gives me media icons when plugged but also icons for all home directory files. How can I just get device icons. The device icon tab is greyed if I don't tick show icons.

Thanks.

Last edited by hg21 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hg21, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You could just store no files on the desktop, and make ~/Desktop read only, which would solve the problem. This feature could be handy however since KDE 3 is now in bug fix / security maintenance mode I do not think any features can get added anymore.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
hg21
Registered Member
bcooksley wrote:You could just store no files on the desktop, and make ~/Desktop read only, which would solve the problem. This feature could be handy however since KDE 3 is now in bug fix / security maintenance mode I do not think any features can get added anymore.

Thanks for reply. Please could you be more specific.

1. How do I " store no files on the desktop". I have not done so specifically; the ones which appear on the desktop are just in my home directory.

2. I don't seem to have a ~/Desktop

Sorry to be so feeble.

R_Rios
Registered Member
OS
hg21 wrote:Using kubuntu

from KDE control centre->desktop->behaviour, I tick show icons, then open device icons tab and tick appropriate boxes. This gives me media icons when plugged but also icons for all home directory files. How can I just get device icons. The device icon tab is greyed if I don't tick show icons.

Thanks.

I have the same problem. The desktop shows the home directory folders and files, even if there's ~/Desktop.
of_darkness
Registered Member
hg21 wrote:
bcooksley wrote:You could just store no files on the desktop, and make ~/Desktop read only, which would solve the problem. This feature could be handy however since KDE 3 is now in bug fix / security maintenance mode I do not think any features can get added anymore.

Thanks for reply. Please could you be more specific.

1. How do I " store no files on the desktop". I have not done so specifically; the ones which appear on the desktop are just in my home directory.

2. I don't seem to have a ~/Desktop

Sorry to be so feeble.

Dessktop may be translated to the word for desktop in your language.

In swedish ubuntu the desktop is kalled Skrivbord whit a captial letter to start with.

But if any program neads Desktop then create Desktop as an dir in your home folder..

And it sounds like that the special folder desktop is set to be the same as your home folder. you knead to change it to Desktop or any other folder of your own preference..

of_darkness, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
hg21
Registered Member
Thanks of_darkness. You write "it sounds like that the special folder desktop is set to be the same as your home folder. you knead to change it to Desktop"

I have been trying to find how to do that for hours. I've looked at kde *rc file on my system and kde docs but have failed to discover where a user file is configured as the Desktop file.

Tomaz
Registered Member
usually the desktop folder on ubuntu has another icon than just a folder, it's easy to spot.

Rocs developer. (and no, i'm not proud of it) ;D
Alec
Registered Member
OS
Try creating a new hidden folder in your home directory (call it ".Desktop"), and then go to KControl Center > System Administration > Paths, change "Desktop Path" to "/home/yourname/.Desktop" and click Apply. When it asks you if you want files moved, click Cancel.

Hope that helps!

Get problems solved faster - get reply notifications through Jabber!
hg21
Registered Member
Alec wrote:Try creating a new hidden folder in your home directory (call it ".Desktop"), and then go to KControl Center > System Administration > Paths, change "Desktop Path" to "/home/yourname/.Desktop" and click Apply. When it asks you if you want files moved, click Cancel.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Alec. That worked superbly.

Is there a way on this forum to mark threads as " solved"?

Last edited by hg21 on Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

neverendingo
Administrator
OS
Edit your initial post and add a [SOLVED] to the title.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.